ER706W-4g never detects connection when used with IPv6 only 4g provider

2024-07-30 06:14:07 - last edited 2024-07-30 08:53:47
Model: ER706W-4G  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hello,

I can't get the LTE connection on my ER706w-4G to work. I'm using a dutch provider which only issues an IPv6 address, so no IPv4 address is assigned to the connection. It seems the connection is therefore never detected as online by the router (online detection: "offline"). It doesn't matter if I setup the connection as IPv4 and IPv6 or IPv6 only in the APN settings. The provider is simyo, and I've tried all of the different APNs available for their mother provider KPN. I'm suspecting the issue is really with the router never detecting an online connection when it doesn't receive an IPv4 address for the LTE connection. 

Weirdly enough an IPv4 address is detected by whatismyip, when I use the same simcard in a mobile phone.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. At the moment I'm considering switching over to another provider that does issue IPv4 addresses on its mobile connections as a last resort.

Thanks Pieter

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER706W-4g never detects connection when used with IPv6 only 4g provider-Solution
2024-07-30 08:53:21 - last edited 2024-07-30 08:53:47

Hi @Pjerrez 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

If you don't have an IPv4 address, then it cannot work in v4 mode. And eventually, it does not work for online detection which is proprietary to the v4 address.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:ER706W-4g never detects connection when used with IPv6 only 4g provider-Solution
2024-07-30 08:53:21 - last edited 2024-07-30 08:53:47

Hi @Pjerrez 

If you don't have an IPv4 address, then it cannot work in v4 mode. And eventually, it does not work for online detection which is proprietary to the v4 address.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER706W-4g never detects connection when used with IPv6 only 4g provider
2024-07-30 09:12:18

@Clive_A 

Thank you for explaining. If I can check my understanding of your answer:

- No IPv4 address on LTE means no IPv4 connection

- No IPv4 connection means no online detection

- No online detection means no switchover when the normal WAN fails (based on my own testing)

Therefore if I want to use LTE as a viable fail-over for the normal WAN I have to make sure I get a SIM card for a provider that issues an IPv4 address on the LTE connection.

Can you please confirm this is correct?

Pieter

Options
2024-07-30 09:14:07

Hi @Pjerrez 

Pjerrez wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you for explaining. If I can check my understanding of your answer:

- No IPv4 address on LTE means no IPv4 connection

- No IPv4 connection means no online detection

- No online detection means no switchover when the normal WAN fails (based on my own testing)

Therefore if I want to use LTE as a viable fail-over for the normal WAN I have to make sure I get a SIM card for a provider that issues an IPv4 address on the LTE connection.

Can you please confirm this is correct?

Pieter

Yep. That's correct logic. Fail-over now is based on the v4 connection.

Options
2024-07-30 09:21:49

@Clive_A 

Ok, clear, thanks for confirming. I'll change to a different provider hoping they issue IPv4 addresses (providers are not very explicit on the type of address they give out, so it's a bit of trial and error).

With more an more mobile providers switching to IPv6 only, it would be good if the online detection could work on both IPv4 and IPv6. Are there any plans to update to firmware to accommodate this, if not can I file a feature request somewhere?

Thanks Pieter

Options
2024-07-31 01:06:02 - last edited 2024-07-31 01:06:13

Hi @Pjerrez

Pjerrez wrote

@Clive_A 

Ok, clear, thanks for confirming. I'll change to a different provider hoping they issue IPv4 addresses (providers are not very explicit on the type of address they give out, so it's a bit of trial and error).

With more an more mobile providers switching to IPv6 only, it would be good if the online detection could work on both IPv4 and IPv6. Are there any plans to update to firmware to accommodate this, if not can I file a feature request somewhere?

Thanks Pieter

IPv6 is not a top priority. Major updates in the next release V5.15 adapted firmware targeting the IPv4-related features.

You can file a request on the request page. Requests & Suggestions

Options