Use two WAN ports to same Internet Router/Modem to increase bandwidth ?

2024-08-18 11:24:58 - last edited 2024-08-19 02:10:47
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

I have a 2.5 GB fiber internet connection using a ZTE TIM Hub+ (Telecom Italia). Since the LAN ports on this router are only 1G (and the optical port on the ER707 is only 1G as well, so there is no sense in skipping the ZTE router), I wonder whether I could use two of the ZTE router's LAN ports connected to two ER-707-WAN-ports with load balancing enabled to have theoretically a bandwidth of 2G. The ZTE router would assign two IP addresses from the same subnet (and NAT to the internet side).

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Use two WAN ports to same Internet Router/Modem to increase bandwidth ?-Solution
2024-08-18 23:18:17 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@tgoschuetz 

In a way

you can get 2 independant links of 1gbit to your modem, but each individual link wont aggregate to get you 2gbit.

We have a 1.25gbit connection at work, and i use an ER8411 with three links to the modem, with 8 vlans policy routed between them.  On a windows machine with 2 vlans on two different interface that happen to be on vlans that are routed to two different WANs, windows *can* aggregate it , on speedtests anyway and exceed the 1gbit limit of one link.  On any device with just one like, you will only get 1gbit (940ish in reality)

However, all this depends on whether you can assign each wan interface a different IP from your modem.  IF you only get one IP, this wont work.

I have my network at work set up this way so i can allocate a full 1gibt worth of bandwidth to all the staff, office, technical team etc, and leave the remaining 250mbit worth of bandwidth to the Public WiFi and the bar-restaurant using bandwidth limiting and QOS so neither side of the network can choke the bandwidth of the other.

I take a different but related approach with the rest of the network structure - each main switch has at least a 2 link LAG back to the core, so for example someone using the full 1gbit bandwidth on an AP on my POE switch wont choke out all the other APs on that switch as there is a 2x1gbit link back so if one is fully utilised the other has spare capacity without any significant traffic shaping / contention / throttling going on at the switch level

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Use two WAN ports to same Internet Router/Modem to increase bandwidth ?-Solution
2024-08-18 23:18:17 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@tgoschuetz 

In a way

you can get 2 independant links of 1gbit to your modem, but each individual link wont aggregate to get you 2gbit.

We have a 1.25gbit connection at work, and i use an ER8411 with three links to the modem, with 8 vlans policy routed between them.  On a windows machine with 2 vlans on two different interface that happen to be on vlans that are routed to two different WANs, windows *can* aggregate it , on speedtests anyway and exceed the 1gbit limit of one link.  On any device with just one like, you will only get 1gbit (940ish in reality)

However, all this depends on whether you can assign each wan interface a different IP from your modem.  IF you only get one IP, this wont work.

I have my network at work set up this way so i can allocate a full 1gibt worth of bandwidth to all the staff, office, technical team etc, and leave the remaining 250mbit worth of bandwidth to the Public WiFi and the bar-restaurant using bandwidth limiting and QOS so neither side of the network can choke the bandwidth of the other.

I take a different but related approach with the rest of the network structure - each main switch has at least a 2 link LAG back to the core, so for example someone using the full 1gbit bandwidth on an AP on my POE switch wont choke out all the other APs on that switch as there is a 2x1gbit link back so if one is fully utilised the other has spare capacity without any significant traffic shaping / contention / throttling going on at the switch level

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Use two WAN ports to same Internet Router/Modem to increase bandwidth ?
2024-08-19 00:43:06 - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hi @tgoschuetz 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Brief answer is NO.

Probably gonna be helpful for you to read this:

Use the label and tag system, you should easily find it.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options