VPN server through DDNS on TL-ER605 (configured by Omada OC200)

3 weeks ago - last edited Saturday
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20231207 Rel.61384

Hello, 

I hope somebody can answer my questions but first, here's a summary of my setup : 

- one modem from a belgian service provider.

- TL-ER605 v1 router. WAN port is connected to LAN port of the modem above, connection initiated by PPPoE with credentials provided by the service provider. WAN IP is dynamic.

- switches : TL-SG3452P, TL-SG2016P and TL-SG2008P on the LAN side.

- 5 acces points.

- OC200 controller (v5.14.26.23, firmware : 1.31.3 Build 20240620 Rel.80383)

- OS used for the VPN client side : macOS

Network configuration is not difficult as I have 2 VLAN. One is private for all devices in house and the second one is to allow only internet access to guests over WiFi on a different subnet.

Up to now, I was using the VPN server package on a Synology NAS and a DDNS provided by Synology. Therefore, I can access my network (at least devices on the same subnet) by connecting to this VPN.

Since not so long, I have 2 domain names hosted by OVH (one private and one for my company). I would like to disable the one from Synology and no longer host the VPN on the NAS and configure the ER605 to host the VPN.

What I already tried (but maybe I'm wrong) : 

- Settings > Services > Dynamic DNS : 

- I configured a Dynamic DNS entry based on one of my OVH subdomain. The problem is that OVH is not listed as service provider. I used the "custom" option but I'm stuck with the update URL as OVH is providing one which does not contain the necessary variables (i.e. [USERNAME], [PASSWORD] and [DOMAIN]). I filled something base on what I gathered on different forums but impossible to copy/paste as it's considered as a link. 

When looking at Insights > Dynamic DNS, I have the following error (see printscreen).

- As it was not working, I configured a new DDNS record in my Synology using the credentials from OVH as this service provider is listed in Synology. All is working fine. I assume that the URL is not correct.

- I went back to the OC200 controller and configured successfully a NO-IP DDNS for free for testing.

Then, I tried to configure the VPN part : 

- Settings > VPN : 

- Created a new VPN policy

- Created a VPN User

On the client side, I configured a new VPN as follow : 

L2TP via IPsec

Domain name : the one provided by NO-IP

Login name : user1

Password : password given for user1

Pre-shared key : the one filled in the VPN policy

Option : Send all network traffic over the VPN connection activated

After making this config, the problem I have : 

- When trying to connect to the VPN, I'm getting an error that the L2TP server does not respond.

- Should somebody know the right syntax to fill the update URL for OVH service provider, I'm interrested so my WAN IP could be automatically be updated.

Thanks for your help and support.

Regards.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VPN server through DDNS on TL-ER605 (configured by Omada OC200)-Solution
Saturday - last edited Saturday

@Clive_A 

Solved my problem in the meantime.

I was trying to connect to my VPN from my LAN.

I had a VPN connection through a Synology VPN server app previously and I could connect even whern connected to the LAN.

I shared my 5G from my mobile with my laptop to test it and everything is fine.

Might be something like loopback or redirection into the router but actually I don't need to connect to my own VPN when I'm home.

Regards,

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:VPN server through DDNS on TL-ER605 (configured by Omada OC200)
3 weeks ago

Hi @TofM 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

VPN does not work, have you examined your WAN IP address?

So for troubleshooting the VPN, it is a different version of the configuration. Check every step and there is nothing else to troubleshoot usually.

I don't have a commented on the third-party DDNS. For reference, you can take a look at the troubleshooting guide of the DDNS on the forum.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
3 weeks ago

Hi  @Clive_A 

Thanks for your swift reply.

First of all, I solved th DDNS problem I had. I found the solution on the community here and it's working : 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/615752

I'll have a deeper look at the VPN problem.

By the way, what do you mean by : have you examined your WAN IP ? 

Do you mean by checking that ports are open or something like that ? 

Best regards,

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hi @TofM 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TofM wrote

Hi  @Clive_A 

Thanks for your swift reply.

First of all, I solved th DDNS problem I had. I found the solution on the community here and it's working : 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/615752

I'll have a deeper look at the VPN problem.

By the way, what do you mean by : have you examined your WAN IP ? 

Do you mean by checking that ports are open or something like that ? 

Best regards,

You can make DDNS work regardless if you have a public IP or not.

I mean most of the VPN connection problems are misconfiguration and the VPN server is behind a NAT. That's also why I wrote that walkthrough is actually the way to troubleshoot.

For very few cases, it is an ISP problem and end-to-end problem and it requires further analysis on the WAN.

Some ideas in Fail to Connect to the Omada Router as OpenVPN Server

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:VPN server through DDNS on TL-ER605 (configured by Omada OC200)-Solution
Saturday - last edited Saturday

@Clive_A 

Solved my problem in the meantime.

I was trying to connect to my VPN from my LAN.

I had a VPN connection through a Synology VPN server app previously and I could connect even whern connected to the LAN.

I shared my 5G from my mobile with my laptop to test it and everything is fine.

Might be something like loopback or redirection into the router but actually I don't need to connect to my own VPN when I'm home.

Regards,

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 223

Replies: 4

Related Articles