Client connectivity issue after in-activity to internal/internet network

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: EAP653  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.14

Dear Community, 

I am looking for a help/suggestion to fix an issue I am facing in my setup for inactive clients having connectivity problems for first 1-2 minutes

Gateway - ER605 v2.0 - SW version 2.2.6 (latest) 

Controller - OC200 v1.0 - SW version 1.31.3 (latest) 

2x AP - EAP653(EU) v1.0 - SW version 1.0.14 (latest) 

1x AP - EAP225-Outdoor(EU) v3.0 - SW version 5.1.6 (latest) 

1x POE unmanaged Switch to feed the EAP653 only (connected to separate port on ER605) - Switch CUDY 8-Port Gigabit PoE+

1x unmanaged Switch - rest of the netowork devices (connected to separated port on ER605) - Tenda TEG1016D

DHCP running on the ER605 gateway

DNS forwarded to public 1.1.1.1 / 8.8.8.8 servers. DNS Cache allowed but ON/OFF no change

Single LAN with /24subnet size

up to 30 clients connected across these 3 APs (15+ Wireless) + 7 wired clients

What is happening to wifi clients connected to AP, after some period of time when user is not actively using the network (e.g mobile phone),user would like to go to internet or internal network there is NO connectivity to internal or external network (not able o reach desintation). This time take approx 1-2 minutes to get the traffic be routed properly to desitnation - it will start automatically. Client do not show as disconnected from the network or Internet connection, it shows properly the network configuration IP and connection to AP/DNS/DHCP. When user is actively using the network there is no issue or disconnection. The behaviour is observed for the user who has been in-active for some time (observation is approx 10+ minutes) .

All the rest of the users who are at the same time using the the same AP are not facing any issue for connection just that particular afftected client.

Ping test shows: 

Client is able to ping the AP IP address with no issue

There is no reply from the ER605 gateway for this approx 1-2min time period

There is no reply from any other device in the local network

There is no alarm or issue for EAP (power, disconnection, alarms), DHCP messages in the logs do not show any abnormal DHCP requests comparing to wired connection.

There is no such an observation for wired clients.

Clients do not roam to different AP at the time of issue

AP are less then 100m far from PoE SW or PoE injector

Full-duplex to APs, on 1000Mb/speed

no significant TX/RX errors/drops

AP is set for 2.4 and 5GHz, with Auto configurations

WLAN optimalization done several times with no other SSIDs

WPA-personal, WPA2-PSK/AES

3 different iPhone models facing the same behaviour issues

I have tried to:

Reserving IP for particular mobile client help to reduce the repetition of the issue to 50% but did not solve the issue.

AP is set to get the IP info from DHCP and not statically used - no change 

Thanks for any suggestions/helps

Options
4 Reply
Re:Client connectivity issue after in-activity to internal/internet network
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi @Malman 

Please try to disable ARP-to-Unicast Conversion and see if it helps.

Apart from the said three iPhones, did this issue occur on other wireless clients? such as Android clients?

are ALL IOS devices affected? Or some iPhones don't have this issue?

Options
a week ago

Thank you,   @Vincent-TP 

I have set the ARP-to-Unicast Conversion to disable State and going to monitor the situation for next hours/days. 

Currently we have also several Android clients but they are always-on, I will try to simulate the situation on these as well plus simulate it on Windows running laptops. 

In our case all iOS devices were affected ( iPhone 12 mini, 2x iPhone 13 - all with iOS 17.6.1) 

What I have realized, I haven't try to simulate the behavior only on particular 2.4 or 5GHz channel, what I have seen they were connecting to 5GHz only. I can do to this test forcing to use 2.4GHz only, and see if the behavior repeats .

Thanks, 

Peter

Options
Monday

Hi @Vincent-TP

I can confirm "set the ARP-to-Unicast Conversion to disable" help to mitigate the issue. The issue is not observed anymore on any of the platforms

when  ARP-to-Unicast Conversion is Enabled issue is observed on 2.4/5Ghz

- all Apple users (iPhone, iPad)

- windows machines 

For Android users I was not able to observe the issue (I'm not able to 100% say I was able to reproduce the not-active state) - but no issue observed

I was testing the scenario several days and turning ON/OFF the ARP-to-Unicast Conversion to confirm that issue is related to ARP service. 

What surprise me is that as per my knowledge iOS devices should have no issue with multi/unicast ARPs and most of the times the Android devices have the issue with this.

Nevertheless, service is back to normal

Thank you for help

Peter

Options
Tuesday
Hi, happy to hear that. Enjoy your Internet.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 184

Replies: 4

Related Articles