ER707-M2 - All Computers Using the OpenVPN Connection - But I only want ONE to use it instead

ER707-M2 - All Computers Using the OpenVPN Connection - But I only want ONE to use it instead

Thursday - last edited Thursday
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20240324 Rel.42799

Hello-

I have successfully created an OpenVPN connection to my NordVPN service.   However, I am having some trouble because I only want one of my clients to connect to the VPN and instead all clients are connecting to the VPN when the VPN is activated. 

Below is my configuration. I only want IP 192.168.0.150 to use the VPN.  Is there something I am doing wrong?  Note that the image shows that the VPN is disabled, but I did that on purpose.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER707-M2 - All Computers Using the OpenVPN Connection - But I only want ONE to use it instead-Solution

Hi @ClockerXP 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

This might conclude as Policy Routing for the VPN. This is not available but has been considered. V5.15.X has scheduled PBR for VPN.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER707-M2 - All Computers Using the OpenVPN Connection - But I only want ONE to use it instead-Solution
Thursday - last edited Friday

I solved my issue by using 32 instead of 24 in the field after the local network IP address.  See attached image.  Now only the one client is using the VPN, no others.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:ER707-M2 - All Computers Using the OpenVPN Connection - But I only want ONE to use it instead
Thursday

OMG ChatGTP is amazing.  Through some research, I found the following   (I needed to include /32 to specify it is just a single address):

How to Specify a Single IP Address in a Subnet

1. IP Address: The specific IP address you want to designate (e.g., 192.168.0.150).
  2. Subnet Mask: The subnet mask in CIDR notation (e.g., /24).

When combined, 192.168.0.150/24 specifies the IP address 192.168.0.150 within the /24 subnet, which covers the range 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255.

Example

To designate just one IP address in a subnet:

• Use 192.168.0.150/32.

The /32 subnet mask means that all 32 bits of the address are fixed, identifying a single specific host (in this case, 192.168.0.150) with no additional addresses in the range.

Summary

• 192.168.0.150/32 specifies the single IP address 192.168.0.150 without including any other addresses. The /32 is the way to indicate an exact IP address with no room for any additional hosts.

Options
Re:ER707-M2 - All Computers Using the OpenVPN Connection - But I only want ONE to use it instead
Thursday

@ClockerXP 

if you use a controller, you can add up to 5 IP networks.

Options

Hi @ClockerXP 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

This might conclude as Policy Routing for the VPN. This is not available but has been considered. V5.15.X has scheduled PBR for VPN.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Thursday - last edited Friday

I solved my issue by using 32 instead of 24 in the field after the local network IP address.  See attached image.  Now only the one client is using the VPN, no others.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 113

Replies: 4

Related Articles