CPE210 Configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CPE210 Configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
76 Reply
Re:CPE210 Configuration
2017-04-14 05:25:49
i have no idea why. I was trying to follow the logic that WAN was eth1 and LAN eth0.
Quite frankly, I am lost with this stuff. I thought i had a clue but not anymore.
So, i should have one of the WANs going to eth0 and the other to eth1? Which WAN to eth0? WAN or WAN6?
And then my VLANs would be what eth1.1 and eth1.2?
Options
2017-04-14 08:25:31

cayvman wrote

i have no idea why. I was trying to follow the logic that WAN was eth1 and LAN eth0.
Quite frankly, I am lost with this stuff. I thought i had a clue but not anymore.

Not your fault. Linksys does anything to confuse people, me thinks. According to OpenWRT's wiki about the Linksys WRT1xxx series the WRT1200ac has a Marvell 88E6176 switch:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series#wrt1200ac

This switch uses following switch layout:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series#marvell_88e6176

So, i should have one of the WANs going to eth0 and the other to eth1? Which WAN to eth0? WAN or WAN6?

Quite right, but both WANs (WAN and WAN6 if you use IPv6) are using eth0 (the "Internet line" so to say).

And then my VLANs would be what eth1.1 and eth1.2?

Yes. The eth1 (without dot anything) is the physical interface designated to the 4-port switch. Ignore for a moment that the wiki page assigns this VLAN 1 in the wiki linked above (the "default" or "native" VLAN, actually for data packets without any VLAN ID). The "real" VLAN 1 is eth1.1 on top of eth1, but both interfaces co-exist.

The easiest way to get what you want is to do a factory reset of the OpenWRT firmware. Then note the network names, Ethernet interface names and WiFi interface names just to get an idea how this router is structured.

Next, create a GUEST network. If you also want a guest WiFi on the WRT1200 (beside the one propagated to the CPE), create another WiFi interface and assign it to the GUEST network. If you don't want a guest WiFi on the WRT1200, skip this step..

Then create a VLAN 2 ( eth1.2) and select this in the GUEST network settings to assign the network to this VLAN. Now add a port to VLAN 2 to have it carry data from the port into the GUEST network.

Do not change the existing eth0, eth1, eth1.1 settings, just expand it by creating a eth1.2. Use only the latter in individual settings except that you have to "move" the port for the CPE from LAN (eth1.1) to GUEST (eth1.2). Then it should work out of the box already.

It looks confusing because a) Linksys changed switch layout on their WRT series quite often and b) without doubt there is a learning curve in OpenWRT if you are new to it, but the more experience you get, the clearer things will become and at a certain point you will acknowledge to have a highly configurable firmware with lots of functions not even present in manufacturer's own firmware.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-04-14 16:18:27

R1D2 wrote

Not your fault. Linksys does anything to confuse people, me thinks. According to OpenWRT's wiki about the Linksys WRT1xxx series the WRT1200ac has a Marvell 88E6176 switch:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series#wrt1200ac

This switch uses following switch layout:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series#marvell_88e6176

Quite right, but both WANs (WAN and WAN6 if you use IPv6) are using eth0 (the "Internet line" so to say).

Yes. The eth1 (without dot anything) is the physical interface designated to the 4-port switch. Ignore for a moment that the wiki page assigns this VLAN 1 in the wiki linked above (the "default" or "native" VLAN, actually for data packets without any VLAN ID). The "real" VLAN 1 is eth1.1 on top of eth1, but both interfaces co-exist.

The easiest way to get what you want is to do a factory reset of the OpenWRT firmware. Then note the network names, Ethernet interface names and WiFi interface names just to get an idea how this router is structured.

Next, create a GUEST network. If you also want a guest WiFi on the WRT1200 (beside the one propagated to the CPE), create another WiFi interface and assign it to the GUEST network. If you don't want a guest WiFi on the WRT1200, skip this step..

Then create a VLAN 2 ( eth1.2) and select this in the GUEST network settings to assign the network to this VLAN. Now add a port to VLAN 2 to have it carry data from the port into the GUEST network.

Do not change the existing eth0, eth1, eth1.1 settings, just expand it by creating a eth1.2. Use only the latter in individual settings except that you have to "move" the port for the CPE from LAN (eth1.1) to GUEST (eth1.2). Then it should work out of the box already.

It looks confusing because a) Linksys changed switch layout on their WRT series quite often and b) without doubt there is a learning curve in OpenWRT if you are new to it, but the more experience you get, the clearer things will become and at a certain point you will acknowledge to have a highly configurable firmware with lots of functions not even present in manufacturer's own firmware.

Thanks very much for hanging in there. I appreciate it. Right now tringto get a stable version of OpenWRT on the router. It's funny how some of the version have different functions showing. For example, to get the Switch tab, I had to modify (add script) the network file.I can't seem to find the script for the same tab that allows one to add VLANs. As soon as i get that software wired, will begin to fill in the blanks.
Also, don't know why when I go to the ip address I've been getting the message that the site is not secure/safe. Is it because I haven't set up any firewall directions?
Options
2017-04-14 18:50:27

cayvman wrote

Also, don't know why when I go to the ip address I've been getting the message that the site is not secure/safe. Is it because I haven't set up any firewall directions?

Sorry, did forget this. Since OpenWRT's LuCI web UI uses a self-signed certificate with - meanwhile - weak signature algorithms, modern browsers refuse to accept it. Just ignore this. It's no bank account and no credit card data is at risk either. ;)
Options
2017-04-14 20:39:54

R1D2 wrote

Sorry, did forget this. Since OpenWRT's LuCI web UI uses a self-signed certificate with - meanwhile - weak signature algorithms, modern browsers refuse to accept it. Just ignore this. It's no bank account and no credit card data is at risk either. ;)

I didn't think it mattered.
On another note, have installed OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 r49389, however, it doesn't have the Switch tab. I was able to insert a script in the Network file that brought up the Switch tab,however, the VLANs is not functional. Meaning there isn't any way of adding the VLANs. There's an Add button but it doesn't add the places to add the VLAN details. Any thoughts on this?
BTW I did post this question on the OpenWRT forum.

Options
2017-04-15 04:05:08
[QUOTE=cayvman;202810]I didn't think it mattered.

On another note, have installed OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 r49389, however, it doesn't have the Switch tab. I was able to insert a script in the Network file that brought up the Switch tab,however, the VLANs is not functional. Meaning there isn't any way of adding the VLANs. There's an Add button but it doesn't add the places to add the VLAN details. Any thoughts on this?

BTW I did post this question on the OpenWRT forum.

Still not working.
File:
#1.jpgDownload
#2.jpgDownload
#3.jpgDownload
#5.jpgDownload
#4.jpgDownload
#6.jpgDownload
Options
2017-04-15 08:10:00
Does not sound good. Now I understand what you meant with "script": did you insert a switch config manually? Usually the default config includes anything supported by the chip. If there is no VLAN section by default, this means that the chip probably does not support VLAN - that would be the first one crossing my way in more than 10 years work with OpenWRT, but everything is possible. My company changed the main supplier from Linksys to TP-Link after the WRT160 fiasco, shortly after Cisco took over Linksys. Seems it has been even worser with WRT1x00 family of routers ...

Let's see what the OpenWRT guys familiar with WRT1200 will say about it.
Options
2017-04-15 09:19:26

R1D2 wrote

Does not sound good. Now I understand what you meant with "script": did you insert a switch config manually? Usually the default config includes anything supported by the chip. If there is no VLAN section by default, this means that the chip probably does not support VLAN - that would be the first one crossing my way in more than 10 years work with OpenWRT, but everything is possible. My company changed the main supplier from Linksys to TP-Link after the WRT160 fiasco, shortly after Cisco took over Linksys. Seems it has been even worser with WRT1x00 family of routers ...

Let's see what the OpenWRT guys familiar with WRT1200 will say about it.

Any suggestions regards routers that would do what we've been trying to do? Did a quick check on OpenWRT and one of their recommendations was for the netgear WNDR3700 a router I had but bricked and threw away. Getting one on Amazon for $24. (used). Will have it on Sunday so we'll see what happens then. Sucks to think that all the time and effort was wasted in a sense, except for the education. Appreciate all of your help. Will keep the thread open till I achieve success or madness. Whichever comes first.
Options
2017-04-15 16:31:38

cayvman wrote

Any suggestions regards routers that would do what we've been trying to do? Did a quick check on OpenWRT and one of their recommendations was for the netgear WNDR3700 a router I had but bricked and threw away. Getting one on Amazon for $24. (used). Will have it on Sunday so we'll see what happens then. Sucks to think that all the time and effort was wasted in a sense, except for the education. Appreciate all of your help. Will keep the thread open till I achieve success or madness. Whichever comes first.

Yes, the WNDR3700 will do it. I ported my OpenWRT-based software to the WNDR3800, which has the same architecture as the WNDR3700. OpenWRT firmware is identical for both models.

The WNDR3700/3800 have a Realtek RTL8366 Ethernet switch, which supports VLANs (see https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3800#ethernet_switch_configuration_vlan).

I like this particular model b/c it has plenty of RAM and a fast CPU, at least for an embedded device released 6 years ago. Actually, it was once the premium model under a dozen of devices we offered customers until we introduced TL-WDR4300 some years ago. I still use my WNDR3800 beside several TL-WDR4300s.

No doubt, with the WNDR3700 you will achieve success in setting up a VLAN.
Options
2017-04-15 18:44:22

R1D2 wrote

Yes, the WNDR3700 will do it. I ported my OpenWRT-based software to the WNDR3800, which has the same architecture as the WNDR3700. OpenWRT firmware is identical for both models.

The WNDR3700/3800 have a Realtek RTL8366 Ethernet switch, which supports VLANs (see https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3800#ethernet_switch_configuration_vlan).

I like this particular model b/c it has plenty of RAM and a fast CPU, at least for an embedded device released 6 years ago. Actually, it was once the premium model under a dozen of devices we offered customers until we introduced TL-WDR4300 some years ago. I still use my WNDR3800 beside several TL-WDR4300s.

No doubt, with the WNDR3700 you will achieve success in setting up a VLAN.

Still playing around with the wrtac1200. installed the lede version of the firmware and it comes up with the the network and switch tab. with this version it designates LAN as eth0.1.I created a guest LAN and named it eth0.2 Have managed to isolate port 2 of the router but can't get it to recognize the ip address given guest lan. I have no idea how the wan, and the two cpu ports are supposed to be: off, tagged or untagged. btw one cpu port is eth0 and the other eth1.
I can send a picture later.
Options
Related Articles