Use Mesh or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Use Mesh or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:Use Mesh or not?
2023-01-05 13:19:06 - last edited 2023-01-05 13:20:22

@Philbert But does having MESH enabled affect the wired APs performance?  I would think not but just wondering since it is set a the controller if it might limit somehow.

Options
2023-01-05 20:44:16

@RickJamesBish 

No it wont affect wired performance

Even if enabled the MESH setting will be in effect be DISABLED while all APs are wired, however should one lose LAN connection to the controller; then the MESH would activate to re-adopt that specific AP.

In that scenario you would lose some performance on the ROOT and MESH AP, however, would regain the appropriate coverage in that area.

Options
2023-01-05 20:56:55 - last edited 2023-01-05 20:59:10

Philbert is spot-on...simply having MESH enabled will not hinder the performance of any of the EAP's. MESH simply won't be used when the EAP's are wired. Roaming, fast-roaming, etc. occurs whether the EAP's are wired or in MESH mode.

I'll have to test what happens in the event the EAP loses the connection to the controller. I think just losing the connection to the Controller would cause the EAP's to remain status-quo, as long as the wire was still transmitting data. I can shut my software-based Omada controller down and the EAP's stay up as usual. Can't really test things by pulling cables or shutting off my PoE switch as that would cut power to the EAP's. When the router/WAN goes down, the EAPs seem to stay up, no status changes, but I've noticed some clients will drop when they can't get an internet connection.

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
2023-01-05 21:09:17

@Shoresy 

The effect a loss of controller will have on the AP or APs is depending on the circumstances, from my testing anyhow

If its just a single AP that loses connection to the controller, the controller will try to adopt this via Mesh to bring it back into management and restore connectivity.  At this stage the LAN will be just for power and the new ROOT AP will trunk our orphaned AP back to the network / controller as needed.    In short any orphaned APs will try to regain controller management, provided the other APs can see them and offer MESH

However.. if you take the controller OFFLINE the APs will still work.. but only to a certain degree.    As the controller is really designed to be online 24/7 in its absence the APs it manages wont recieve topology updates, therefore roaming, MESH etc.. basically anything that requires a controller wont work.    The APs will go back to basic internet and connection only.   Bear in mind when you adopt an EAP for management, ALL decisions are now done at controller level, not the AP.

I would advise AGAINST powering down your controller, its designed to be online 24/7.   If you do need to power the controller off for periods of time, IMHO you would be better with having the APs standalone (not managed)

Options
2023-01-05 21:48:23
I'm using the software-based controller which is running on a mini-PC that is up 24x7, Win 11. I do occasionally have to reboot the PC for updates, etc. I haven't noticed any problems, at least when the controller goes down for restarts for a minute or two.
Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
2023-01-05 21:51:59

@Shoresy 

Yeah if its only for a few mins to update then you should be fine :)

As you say the APs will reload to refresh the settings once the controller touches them again, this will drop the connections for a few seconds while doing so.

Options

Tags

Related Articles