Disabling failover to mesh on EAP225-Outdoor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-05 10:43:07
Tags: #Mesh
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.0 Build 20220926 Rel. 62456

Hi,

I have two EAP225s (let's call them A & B) on the remote segment of the network. Both of them have been previously paired as mesh clients with another EAP225 at core segment (Core).

WAN --- Router --- EAP225 (core) <----mesh---->  A (mesh client with good signal)--- switch --- B

As A&B are today connected to one switch, only one of them connects to the Core via Mesh. Usually it's "A", which has a good signal level to Core. But sometimes they switch and remote branch is being connected by "B". it causes a lot of problems, as "B" is at the very edge of the range.

WAN --- Router --- EAP225 (core) <----mesh---->  B (mesh client with -95dB signal)--- switch --- A

The only way to recover is to physically power down "B" and wait until "A" reconnects to core as a mesh client. 

When it's normally connected I cannot access Mesh functions because it is in wired mode (via "A").

When it's in mesh client - I cannot remove it, because - it's in mesh.

The whole setup is managed with the latest version of Omada Softwre Controller. 

Factory reset is a last resort, as B is hardly accessible.

How can I remove "B" from the mesh to avoid spontaneous promoting it to the mesh client?

Thank you!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Disabling failover to mesh on EAP225-Outdoor
2023-04-05 15:48:20 - last edited 2023-04-05 15:50:24

@JackShepard 

Router --> POE Switch --> 225-A.  {{ wifi mesh }}  225-B----225-C

I understand EXACTLY what you are talking about.  My solution was to manually configure the 5.8G channels for A & B to be the same, and for C to be different.  In my case Ch.149 provided the best performance and so both A and B were configured that way.  I then statically configured C for Ch.157.  This should allow A and B to find each other much more quickly after a reset, reconfig, power blip whatever.  Unfortunately I'm not aware of a device-only setting to enable/disable mesh.

If you still continue to experience the odd flip (which should only ever possibly occur after a power outage), you can pick a 5.8G channel which has lower max power in your region to reduce the chance of C seeing A.  If that fails to prevent the issue, you could disable the 5.8G radio altogether (but obviously you'd rather not).

I have also found a lot more stability by running my POE switch off a UPS (this is where A is connected).  This keeps A up most of the time (my power can get glitchy but I have a 20min window) and again speeds the re-adoption of B when it comes back online.

Hope that's useful!

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-08 11:19:53

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately the far EAP is located on the other side of the property, with no option for UPS.

When visiting the place I'm planning to forget that EAP and manually restore it to factory defaults. If it doesn't help I will play with channels as you suggest.

It's a pity that in Omada web portal there is no "EAPs registered as clients" list, from which I'd be able to uncheck the EAP.

Options
2023-04-08 14:59:01

@JackShepard 

Hi, I wasn't suggesting a UPS for the far end, just the wired end.

I think you can do what you want without visiting the site though.  When you forget an AP, its basically a factory reset. Now if I am right about your architecture, the B and C APs will be running on different channels right now.  Your issue is that the A-C link is poor  but that is how the mesh established.  

My thinking is this.  Whatever channel B (the preferred 1st hop AP) is on now, change the configuration of B to fix the 5.8 radio at that same channel.  Next forget the C AP, and then immediately change the configuration of the A AP 5.8 radio to the same channel as you changed B to.  With luck, the B AP will discover is is Isolated and start broadcasting for a link, because A is now on the same channel, it should find it first.  If C comes back first just forget it again.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-06-12 22:21:51

@JackShepard 

Hi,

To remove EAP225 (B) from the mesh and avoid it from being promoted as the mesh client, you can try the following steps:

1. Access the Omada Software Controller and navigate to the "Devices" section.
  2. Locate EAP225 (B) in the device list and select it.
  3. Look for an option to "Remove from Mesh" or "Disconnect from Mesh" within the device settings.
  4. Click on that option to initiate the removal process and confirm any prompts that appear.

If these steps are not available or do not work, you may need to consider alternative Core options such as resetting EAP225 (B) to its factory settings or contacting the manufacturer's support for further assistance, considering the accessibility limitations.

Hope this helps!

Options
2023-06-13 06:42:29

@JackShepard 

Hi,

thank you for picking up the topic.

The problem was that generally EAP255 had had Ethernet connection working (but unstable as it was from a powerline adapter) and mesh options had been unavailable in Omada.

When failing over to mesh the signal had been too weak to properly communicate with EAP and reconfigure it.

It'd be great to have mesh config options still available even when a wired uplink is active.

Kind of Catch 22 - Mesh options are available only in mesh mode, but when mesh is not working properly it is impossible to disconnect from it.

I decided for a radical solution - laid down an outdoor fiber to the tree on which problematic EAP is installed and replaced the powerline adapeter with a media converter.

After factory reset EAP works perfectly!

Options