IP Address Reservation without the need of MAC Addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-10 19:50:34
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to actually "reserve" IP addresses so that they're not passed onto clients when given out by the DHCP. I know you can reserve them for acquired devices by their MAC address, but this is something I do not want to do (except to some devices).

I'm looking at a way to block the IP address range so they cannot be used, but I can't seem to find a way to actually do this.

Having a VLAN network setup may be an ideal resolution to this, but at the moment I do not have a Smart Switch to configure the ports with and I've tried having this setup directly with the router but it didn't seem to work properly, so I had to abandon this until I can get a Smart Switch where I can then easily manage the VLAN network.

I just think for the time being that I'd want something in place to prevent the IP address range that I want to be available but not given to clients unless reserved manually by adding it to the reservation list.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ben

Regards, Ben
Options
1 Reply
Re:IP Address Reservation without the need of MAC Addresses
2023-07-11 01:25:48

Hi @HBEN1603 

HBEN1603 wrote

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to actually "reserve" IP addresses so that they're not passed onto clients when given out by the DHCP. I know you can reserve them for acquired devices by their MAC address, but this is something I do not want to do (except to some devices).

I'm looking at a way to block the IP address range so they cannot be used, but I can't seem to find a way to actually do this.

Go to your settings of your LAN interface and set up your DHCP range accordingly. DHCP server will only assign IP addresses in this range. It does not assign IPs outside this range which seems to address your concern.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options