ER605 is not switching clients to the other WAN when the one connected goes offline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 is not switching clients to the other WAN when the one connected goes offline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-21 12:53:20 - last edited 2023-07-31 00:43:49
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20220223 Rel.68551

I have 2 WAN (internet) connections connected to the ER605

I have enabled the load balancing

When WAN1 goes down (physical link is up but no internet) 

• The clients connected to WAN1 have no internet connection

Based on the promised features, I expect the clients to be transferred to WAN2 automatically

I have to manually put some routing policy and forcefully route all clients via WAN2 

so that the clients that was connected to WAN1 initially will be able to access internet

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 is not switching clients to the other WAN when the one connected goes offline-Solution
2023-07-28 04:21:12 - last edited 2023-07-31 00:43:49

@Clive_A Thanks for the follow up

I had reset the device and tried doing the experiment again

Now when I pull the fiber, its automatically switched to WAN2

May be I messed up some configurations as you mentioned

Thanks everyone for the help

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:ER605 is not switching clients to the other WAN when the one connected goes offline
2023-07-24 01:41:04

Hi @Puthiry

How much time did you spend monitoring this symptom under the condition that you did not have any policy routing to force all clients on WAN 2?

I have not met load balancing issues for a certain period of time.

So I gotta ask this question above. Here's the fact, load balancing is not instantly switching your devices to the backup WAN.

From the time the router detects(online detection) the losses of ping, to the timestamp that your router switch all clients to the backup WAN, this period may take up to a minute.

Note that the router is not instantly disconnecting you from the primary WAN when it receives the first failure packet. It has to wait for a few packets of loss and then confirm there is a disconnection. Then it switches.

So, with the knowledge above, can you remove the policy routing and monitor this again? Or do an experiment yourself.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:ER605 is not switching clients to the other WAN when the one connected goes offline
2023-07-24 03:24:08

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your suggestion

I understand that it takes some time for detection and switching. 

I have waited for around 30 minutes and it didn't switch.

I tested the same several times and the clients was never switched to the working WAN, the online detection was detecting properly though

Options
2023-07-24 03:44:23

Hi @Puthiry 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

How do you set up the online detection? Please send a picture of that.

If you set a local IP address, it is always ping-able, then the online detection always thinks it is online. You gotta make sure you have set it correctly.

I also require you to perform a test for me to further verify if this is a router issue or your ISP/config issue.

You say that your WAN 1 is disconnected and the router is incapable of switching for you. So, that gets the conclusion that the router does not have Internet. Then on your wired/wireless devices, ping 8.8.8.8 and paste the result here as well. Do not set up policy routing because you are reporting this issue to us. We need to make sure you can replicate this and that your config/steps are correct.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-07-24 03:53:49

@Clive_A Here is my online detection configuration. The test you asked, will send in few minutes

Options
2023-07-24 04:17:34

@Clive_A Here is the test result 

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/002vo_s9IcNnyM5XrzXqQlogw#Screen_Recording_2023-07-24_at_9.35.27_AM

Net is working fine

I am connected to WAN 1

Ping is also working fine

I am now going to pull fiber from WAN1 modem

so that internet is disconnected

FIber is now disconnected

Ping still working

Internet not working (see browser)

how ping is working??? I dont know

Router detected WAN1 as offline

Ping is still successfull

No internet

It didnt switch to WAN2

even though its detected as offline in router

I am going to connect fiber back now

Internet started to work

Ping is still uninterrupted

Options
2023-07-24 05:55:25

Hi @Puthiry 

Your file is too large and I am not gonna download it because it's gonna take long.

If the ping's working(try the ping tool under the router diagnostics and test WAN1), then it stays on this connection and this is normal. It's the design purpose. So, that's why your load balancing isn't working because ping is continuous and uninterrupted.

You can probably check why the ping is working. 1.1.1.1 is a public IP address hosted by Cloudflare. Contact your ISP or check your local network. Or swap with a different public IP for online detection like Google. 8.8.8.8.

I don't have a clue either on this. What I can come up with is that your description does not fit the fact. It is either you misconfigure something/mess up something here and mislead this whole troubleshooting or there is a local device with a 1.1.1.1 IP address and it is responding to the ping from the router.

Options
2023-07-26 02:21:12

@Puthiry 

have you enabled link backup? 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-07-27 05:57:11

Hi @Puthiry 

With all the suggestions and knowledge above, any updates? smiley

Options
2023-07-28 04:09:51

@Tedd404 Thanks for the suggestion

I have not enabled Link backup

My understanding is that if I enable Link backup Only one (primary) will be used and the backup WAN will only be used when the primary is not available

I wanted the clients to be distributed between 2 WANs rather than using primary alone

Options
Re:ER605 is not switching clients to the other WAN when the one connected goes offline-Solution
2023-07-28 04:21:12 - last edited 2023-07-31 00:43:49

@Clive_A Thanks for the follow up

I had reset the device and tried doing the experiment again

Now when I pull the fiber, its automatically switched to WAN2

May be I messed up some configurations as you mentioned

Thanks everyone for the help

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1664

Replies: 11