Gateway loses internet connection to CBC or remote Omada Controller howto recover

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Gateway loses internet connection to CBC or remote Omada Controller howto recover

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-01 01:47:46 - last edited 2023-11-01 02:12:28

Curious if I have a remote Omada SDN controller either through CBC or hosted offsite and the internet connection is lost. How would I recover?

lets say the internet replacement requires different specifications such as PPOE  name and password.

Or if we are using static IPs and it changes.

is there any way to make those changes without having to reset the gateway/router or other network devices such as Access points and switches?

would appreciate some help here.

thank you

Options
4 Reply
Re:Gateway loses internet connection to CBC or remote Omada Controller howto recover
2023-11-01 15:47:37

@FlameOtter 

I would suggest a secondary connection such as LTE if you absolutely need to be able to survive unscheduled changes to your primary internet connection that break the IP routing to it.  If the PPPoE creds or the static IP change and you aren't on site...you're dead.  Once you reconfigure the WAN port, everything will come back up...no need to mess with anything on the LAN side.

The good news is a local controller can use any kind of internet access to register with the cloud, so you don't need a public IP or static IP for a local controller to work...ie CGNAT is fine. You could configure a second WAN port so that only the local controller can fail over to it if the primary dies to keep BW charges to a minimum.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Gateway loses internet connection to CBC or remote Omada Controller howto recover
2023-11-01 16:24:25

@d0ugmac1 

Thank you so much. 

Is there a tutorial or instructions on how to setup the LTE?

Is it possible to tether LTE through a mobile device? Or do I need an LTE Stick?

I guess my concern is that if I use a Cloud Based Controller, or an offsite controller and the PPPoE Credit or Static IP Change, how would I reconfigure the Port credentials?

I would need a point that still connects to the router/gateway without internet access.

Has anybody experienced this?

My thoughts would be to create a new controller on site whether through a container or through an OC200, restore from a backup that I have from the original CBC or offsite controller in order to gain local access to the gateway and reconfigure the WAN port.

My inclincation is to trend towards a local controller such as a container or oc200.

Or is what you're saying that I can have one controller (remote or CBC) which connects to WAN1 and setup a local controller which connects to WAN2?

Thank you for taking the time to explain these things.

Options
2023-11-01 16:36:08

@FlameOtter 

My 'Go-To' approach for remote sites is the following:

Local OC200 registered to cloud.tplink.com (this is not a CBC, it's just TPlink's portal for remote access to your controller)

That way you know if the connection is down, because your OC200 will appear as offline via the cloud as well as not being accessible via Portforwarding or VPN

As a safety measure, write down the Device Admin credentials from the active controller....you will need this info to reboot/reset/re-adopt existing devices to a new controller. You can find that info at Settings->Site and scroll to bottom, it's the same user/password for all devices ie router, switch, ap.

Now, if your ISP cuts you off by changing your access creds or IPs, you will still have to go to site to fix unless you have a secondary internet connection on a managed WAN port.  In theory, you could have a wifi-ethernet adapter preconfigured and have someone locally hotspot a phone with the correct SSID and password on the adapter, that should bring up a WAN port with internet access which should allow the local controller to access the internet/cloud and give you back remote access to your controller.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-11-02 14:11:54

@d0ugmac1 

Thank you for taking the time to give me a detail outline and explanation.

I'll most likely follow through with your route. I'm getting a few OC200 to set this up.

I had did some testing with a Linux Software controller setup in a container. 

However if something happens to that machine then I would not be able to make network changes until I was able to resolve issues with that unit or restore it to another somewhere else.

With the OC200, it's independent and would be more straightforward.

The Wireless ethernet adapter also sounds like a good idea, but I'm thinking a visit onsite is probably going to be the most likely scenario.

The oc200 also eliminates the added steps of having to build a new software controller, implement an OC200 if it wasn't there before and restoring from backup.

I appreciate your assistance and the sharing of your own experience.

Options