T1600G-18TS documentation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-17 10:12:12 - last edited 2023-12-07 01:47:24
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.5 Build 20200304 Rel.33762(s)

I was working with DHCP on an interface and decided to check out help as to what a secondary interface address was on the server.  The help file contains the following:

Secondary IP Config

IP Address
Specify the secondary IP address of the interface.
Subnet Mask
Specify the subnet mask of the secondary IP address.

This may be helpful (although generally quite obvious) if one knows what a Secondary IP Address/Table Entry does.  I believe one of the reasons to read, in my opinion, the help is to determine WHAT the specific entry DOES to determine whether or not one might benefit from providing such an entry and also help guide one as to what a valid entry would be for a purpose.  This description provides nothing other than enter an address and a mask, if you have one, and through some other means can determine what such a valid entry would be and how it might help you.  Respectfully I do not believe this is a self defining entry.  Apparently I do not need such an entry because when I took a chance and set DHCP as my interface IP address source potentially blocking my access to the switch and having to reset and start again from scratch, it luckily worked.  If this entry is capable of providing a default address for the interface should the DHCP lookup fail this is a reason I thought a secondary IP address could protect me from being locked out of the switch configuration when testing the DHCP change.  Perhaps this and other documentation like it should be upgraded to explain why such entries might be useful.

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:T1600G-18TS documentation
2023-11-21 09:54:16

Hi @pasha19 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So your main concern would be a piece of advice on upgrading the manual. Is that your main opinion in this paragraph?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:T1600G-18TS documentation
2023-11-23 20:14:27

@pasha19   Yes please consider upgrading the documentation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 260

Replies: 2

Related Articles