Votes

IPv6 ULA support

IPv6 ULA support
IPv6 ULA support
2024-01-18 11:27:13
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.3

I saw this suggested in another thread but that thread was locked so I'd like to propose this here.  Having multiple IP addresses is one of the touted features of IPv6, but also of note is that due to privacy concerns IP addresses are expected to change frequently with IPv6.  This makes setting up a LAN DNS server for IPv6 quite difficult since there is no reliable stable IP address to use other than the link local one.  Perhaps the way to accomplish this would be to add, in wired network -> LAN settings, a section to set up a unique local address prefix in addition to the SLAAC or whatever global address acquisition method is already set up.  It could be quite similar to the "manual prefix" setting that is there now, but be validated against fd00::/8 or fc00::/7 instead of the 2000::/3 that is there now.

Options
12 Reply
Re:IPv6 ULA support
2024-01-19 06:51:01

Hi @borrrden,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I've recorded this request and will report it to the developer team for evaluation.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-11 09:53:52 - last edited 2024-03-11 09:54:35

@borrrden this, along with NAT66 would be very helpful for people who have ISPs that only provide single addresses and only /64s subnets

Options
2024-03-27 08:04:58

I'm also looking for this, and for the same reason: local DNS resolution in the presence of dynamic IPv6 prefixes.

While this might become irrelevant for my particular need if local DNS resolution is implemented (-> https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/542472), ULA is a standard IPv6 feature that should be supported regardless.

Options
2024-06-06 12:51:17

I have a ER605 and use it to load balance 2 ISPs both of which support IPv6.  This feature is very much needed since I don't want to be tied to IPs provided only by 1 ISP. I am not sure if one ISP connection goes down if the IPv6 alloaction  will switch to the other ISP IP range. Local DNS is another huge reason.

Options
2024-07-02 15:29:02

@g301k103g I'm also in this situation and I upvote for the ULA support. When primary link goes offline, IPv6 is lost and needs to be manually reassigned to the backup link which is very annoying.

Options
RE:IPv6 ULA support
2024-08-21 04:37:51 - last edited 2024-08-21 04:40:16

Yes I agree this is pretty important especially as there was a new CVE from MSFT for windows for IPv6 Remote Code Execution, with zero click. I really think this is a critical feature and needs to be implemented very soon. @Hank21 please expedite this as the security implications from this feature are very important.

Options
3 weeks ago

I agree. It should be mandatory in this days. Any cheap router have IPv6 ULA.

I'm migrating to Omada and having tons of problems with IoT devices based on newest Matter protocol, that depends exclusively by IPv6. The leak of IPv6 ULA forced me to use my ISP IPv6, which isn't good enough resulting in a lot of disconnections. Imagine those who doesn't have any IPv6 avaliable to use? They couldn't use any Matter device!

Options
3 weeks ago
Hey, @Hank21 is there a planning about it? ULA should be mandatory. It's a super needed feature for Matter and Thread protocol.
Options
RE:IPv6 ULA support
3 weeks ago
Very necessary
Options
3 weeks ago

Is there any idea if Tplink will adopt IPv6 ULA? It should be mandatory to any IPv6 router!

The leak of IPv6 results in a lot of problems, mainly with IoT devices based on Matter and Thread protocols.

How will TP-Link intend to sell Matter/Thread products if their own routers have a limited support?

Options

Information

Helpful: 11

Views: 1019

Replies: 12

Voters 11

+ 7 Voters