Unable to set up LACP on SG-3428X

2024-03-27 09:28:49
Tags: #LAG
Model: TL-SG3428X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1_1.0.12 Build 20230602

Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction since I'm unable to set up LACP on my SG-3428X.

Earlier I had succesfully set up three VLANs beside the default (1).

After about a dozen attempt of setting up LACP I'm launching this post for help.

I have three device with multiple 1 gigabit ports for which I would like to bundle ports for increased bandwidths on:

- a Synology DS2419+ (first version) with four 1gb ports

- a TrueNas Core (13.0-U6.1) device (C3758 board) with four 1gb ports

- another Truenas Scale (24.04-RC.1) device (C2750 board) with two 1gb ports

All three devices are 802.3ad compatible and the SG-3428X according to specs is as well.

All devices had their ports bundled by LACP on a previous switch (Zyxel GS1910-24). On the SG-3428X I can not get it set up. There are no other switches in between them.

I have followed the manual and alike explanation/example here for the T2600G-28TS: How to configure LACP on our Smart/ Managed Switch .

No traffic gets through and all three devices become inaccessible after LACP is set up on the switch (set up on devices before on switch). After deleting the LACP config for a set of ports in the LAG list the devices become accessible again.

Under L2 features > LAG > LACP Config button I entered the following for ports 3 and 4 (third Truenas Scale device):

- Group ID: 1

- Port priority: 32768

- Mode: Passive (also set to passive on device with standard MTU1500)

Under L2 features > LAG > LAG Table the LAG 1 is set to the SRC MAC + DST MAC algorithm. Others have been tested as well, to no avail.

Is there some special setting I might be missing? Some incompatibility I missed? Any help would be appreciated.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Unable to set up LACP on SG-3428X
2024-03-28 01:35:09

Hi @Christophe7983 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Config of your other three devices? Screenshots.

If you set it as passive, it is pending to receive the LACPDU handshake from the peer. That's important to form the LACP.

And remove the VLAN before you config LACP. As for now, I gotta need to make sure that LACP works with your devices. For the rest of the L2 setup, that'll be yours.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-03-28 11:25:56

@Clive_A 

Thanks in advance for your help. For simplicity sake its probablty better to focus on one device (the third). This is a TrueNas Scale server (24.04-RC1) based on an Asrock Rack C2750D4i mini-ITX board with one management nic and two 1gb nics.

This is the network set up:

I added an Interface with the add button top right and filled it in as follows:

On the TP-link SG-3428X I set it up as follows:

Yes, I did set the VLAN up first. By 'remove VLAN', do mean only on ports 3/4 which I now try too add to LACP LAG1? So set port PVID from 10 back to the default 1 before setting op de LACP LAG on these two ports?

thanks, Christophe

Options
2024-03-28 19:53:40

@Christophe7983 

update: got the LACP working on three out of four ports on the Synology. Forgot to remove LAG from the default LAN. Once it was exclusive to VLAN10 I worked.

No succes on the Truenas Scale device alas.

Could it have something to do with the hash algorithms not matching up?

On TP-link side:

Hash Algorithm

Select the Hash Algorithm, based on which the switch can choose the port to forward the received packets. In this way, different data flows are forwarded on different physical links to implement load balancing. There are six options:

SRC MAC: The computation is based on the source MAC addresses of the packets.

DST MAC: The computation is based on the destination MAC addresses of the packets.

SRC MAC+DST MAC: The computation is based on the source and destination MAC addresses of the packets.

SRC IP: The computation is based on the source IP addresses of the packets.

DST IP: The computation is based on the destination IP addresses of the packets.

SRC IP+DST IP: The computation is based on the source and destination IP addresses of the packets.

On TrueNas Scale side:

LACP

Select LACP to use the most common protocol for LAGG interfaces based on IEEE specification 802.3ad

In LACP mode, the interfaces negotiate with the network switch to form a group of ports that are all active once. The network switch must support LACP for this option to function.

Select the Transmit Hash Policy option from the dropdown list. LAYER2+3 is the default selection. Others: LAYER2, LAYER3+4.

Select the LACPDU Rate to use.

• Select SLOW (default) to set the heartbeat request to every second and the timeout to a three-consecutive heartbeat loss that is three seconds.
  • Select FAST to set the timeout rate at one per second even after synchronization. Using FAST allows for rapid detection of faults.

Select the interfaces to use in the aggregation.

I'm kinda stumbling in the dark. Started thinking about all the possible combinations 6 (on tp-link) x 3 LAYER combos x 2 LACPDU rates = 36 attemps if I don't lose count.

Options
2024-03-29 01:41:01

Hi @Christophe7983 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Christophe7983 wrote

@Christophe7983 

update: got the LACP working on three out of four ports on the Synology. Forgot to remove LAG from the default LAN. Once it was exclusive to VLAN10 I worked.

No succes on the Truenas Scale device alas.

Could it have something to do with the hash algorithms not matching up?

On TP-link side:

Hash Algorithm

Select the Hash Algorithm, based on which the switch can choose the port to forward the received packets. In this way, different data flows are forwarded on different physical links to implement load balancing. There are six options:

SRC MAC: The computation is based on the source MAC addresses of the packets.

DST MAC: The computation is based on the destination MAC addresses of the packets.

SRC MAC+DST MAC: The computation is based on the source and destination MAC addresses of the packets.

SRC IP: The computation is based on the source IP addresses of the packets.

DST IP: The computation is based on the destination IP addresses of the packets.

SRC IP+DST IP: The computation is based on the source and destination IP addresses of the packets.

On TrueNas Scale side:

LACP

Select LACP to use the most common protocol for LAGG interfaces based on IEEE specification 802.3ad

In LACP mode, the interfaces negotiate with the network switch to form a group of ports that are all active once. The network switch must support LACP for this option to function.

Select the Transmit Hash Policy option from the dropdown list. LAYER2+3 is the default selection. Others: LAYER2, LAYER3+4.

Select the LACPDU Rate to use.

• Select SLOW (default) to set the heartbeat request to every second and the timeout to a three-consecutive heartbeat loss that is three seconds.
  • Select FAST to set the timeout rate at one per second even after synchronization. Using FAST allows for rapid detection of faults.

Select the interfaces to use in the aggregation.

I'm kinda stumbling in the dark. Started thinking about all the possible combinations 6 (on tp-link) x 3 LAYER combos x 2 LACPDU rates = 36 attemps if I don't lose count.

VLAN is not considered then. OK.

I don't think TrueNAS is making this clear. Or it is simply saying that L2 matches with another TrueNAS while LAG-ing? That's not clear and I cannot give you the answer.

LACPDU rate does not matter. Fast or Slow is just the rate of transmitting the packet. It is in Active mode so you have this option. Passive mode just sit and wait for the active to send the packet. We just need to focus on the hash policy because it determines the value and eventually can affect the link.

My suggestion is to ask TrueNAS about its Layer 2. Layer 2 is the MAC address. That for sure. But how does it generate the hash? That'll be the question for you to ask the TrueNAS team. Is it using SRC and DST MAC to generate the value? Or SRC? Or DST? Layer 3 does not matter unless you are going to use Layer 3 to generate the hash. Now we are talking about the L2. So, it has 3 combos * 2(switches). Not 36 attempts.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-03-29 09:13:58

@Clive_A 

That seems logical. Ok I'll ask TrueNas. Surely others must have encountered this before with a TP-link jetstream switch. But no posts to be found. I'l start a new thread.

Thank you for you help, Clive. Happy Easter

gts, Christophe

Options
2024-04-01 02:53:49

Hi @Christophe7983

Christophe7983 wrote

@Clive_A 

That seems logical. Ok I'll ask TrueNas. Surely others must have encountered this before with a TP-link jetstream switch. But no posts to be found. I'l start a new thread.

Thank you for you help, Clive. Happy Easter

gts, Christophe

Happy Easter.

How does it go? Let me know if you get a reply from them. Let's see if we can resolve this problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 465

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles