VLAN port with no native (untagged) network - for wifi AP?

2024-04-07 07:34:57
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.13.30.8

I've been trying to make a port profile in omada software controller that has no native network - eg all traffic must be tagged, like this:

At the red arrows, I am unable to remove LAN(1) in order to add it to the list of tagged networks. Is there a reason for this?

In OpenWRT on the router, I can tag/untag however I like:

Reason I ask is because I was struggling for hours unable to connect to wifi SSID "ASIO" (dhcp replies not received) until I REMOVED the VLAN ID from the port which forces that SSID onto VLAN 1 because its now untagged. See no VLAN at red arrow below - removing this made all my SSIDs working.

Before I fixed things, both other SSIDs worked the whole time and having VLAN 1 set worked when connected to OpenWRT with all VLANs set to tagged.

Everything is working now but any VLAN/UI experts know whats going on here? From my research on VLAN trunking ("All" in Omada) its an adminstrative construct that lets selects all existing/future VLANs as tagged with one VLAN (usually 1) as untagged and default. Is "fully tagged" not allowed?

I did also try adding an extra VLAN: 10 just for the WIFI SSID and leave VLAN 1 untagged but this meant I would have to somehow bridge VLAN 10 and VLAN 1. Tried this in OpenWRT but brought down the whole network and had to revert.

Options
3 Reply
Re:VLAN port with no native (untagged) network - for wifi AP?
2024-04-08 07:12:52

Hi @geoff1 

Could you please help to identify further of your concern? Do you want a SSID with specify VLAN only? From the screenshots you sent, you already have another 2 SSIDs with VLANs.

For the LAN profile, the default untagged cannot be removed to make sure you will not lose the connection between the controller and the Omada devices or between the different Omada devices. If you would like to have the EAP with specify VLAN only without default LAN, you may try to configure the port profile on relevant switch/gateway. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-04-08 07:43:59

@Hank21 

Question was why its not allowed to select in omada GUI:

Native network: None

Tagged networks: LAN(1), IOT(2), Guest(3)

Untagged networks: None

So that each SSID can explicity associate a VLAN with ID instead of implicitly with untagged. Its possible in OpenWRT.

It took me ages to figure this doesnt work on Omada and I couldnt see anything in the docs about exposing LAN(1) when using VLANs either - just add separate ones:

https://www.tp-link.com/in/support/faq/3655/

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3091/

Options
2024-04-08 13:18:04

@geoff1 

I haven't needed to do this yet, but I definitely see the utility of being able to construct a Trunking profile in the controller.  To Hank's point this can allow careless users to 'paint themselves into a VLAN corner' by inadvertently isolating their Controller.  However, the controller IS smart enough to know which port in the tree it is connected to and could simply refuse to assign such a profile to that port.  Suggest this Enterprise feature gets added to the Requests and Suggestions forum so other members can up-vote it as a future feature for the Omada solution.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options