VLAN with Wi-Fi separation

2024-07-21 17:58:08 - last edited 2024-07-24 01:53:11
Model: TL-SG1024DE  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20220825 Rel.69073

Hello,

I need to provide several offices with their own, separate, LANs and Wi-Fi. Pretty much an identical scenario as outlined here https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/418/

I created VLANs 10 and 11. The tagged port 23 is for the AP (EAP660HD), while port 24 is connected to the router.

on the AP, I have assigned VLAN ID to a couple of SSIDs:

The problem I have is with the Wi-Fi. It does not pass internet traffic and it does not pass IP addresses from the router:

- cell phone does not connect, reporting "Couldn't connect to the network"

- PC may or may not connect to the Wi-Fi. When it does connect, the connection reports No Internet,

while in the AC client list, the PC is shown with a 169.254.x.x

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

To note that when I disable the VLAN ID on the AP, wireless devices do get IPs and internet.

Thanks.

Options
5 Reply
Re:VLAN with Wi-Fi separation
2024-07-22 03:07:33 - last edited 2024-07-24 01:53:11

Hi @Napocensis 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

This one would be what you need:

How to configure 802.1Q VLAN on TP-Link Easy Smart/Unmanaged Pro Switches

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-22 04:16:23 - last edited 2024-07-22 04:18:42

@Clive_A 

Thanks, Clive. Indeed, that is what I used and the wired computers work as intended. 

I am just not able to add the Wi-Fi component to work the same. 

This is what I am trying to do. Pretty straight forward, but it just does not work.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/418/

Options
2024-07-22 05:42:02

Hi @Napocensis 

Napocensis wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks, Clive. Indeed, that is what I used and the wired computers work as intended. 

I am just not able to add the Wi-Fi component to work the same. 

This is what I am trying to do. Pretty straight forward, but it just does not work.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/418/

EAP should use tagged VLAN ports.

You should set up the SSID VLAN and the port is supposed to be tagged.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-22 16:47:43

@Clive_A 

I do have AP port tagged (#23) and the VLAN ID is enabled for the required SSIDs. Followed everything to a T, but no no avail.

It looks like when I assign the VLAN IDs to the SSIDs, this is when the break between router and AP happens, but only for the VLAN SSIDs. Any other SSID that has the VLAN disabled continues to work normally. 

Thanks!

Options
2024-07-23 06:10:33

Hi @Napocensis 

Napocensis wrote

@Clive_A 

I do have AP port tagged (#23) and the VLAN ID is enabled for the required SSIDs. Followed everything to a T, but no no avail.

It looks like when I assign the VLAN IDs to the SSIDs, this is when the break between router and AP happens, but only for the VLAN SSIDs. Any other SSID that has the VLAN disabled continues to work normally. 

Thanks!

I am not sure if this could be a problem with the router. But the config looks right to me. Both guides indeed work for other people.

EAP SSID VLAN is also correct. It should be configured like that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 259

Replies: 5

Related Articles