How to setup TD-W8980 as range extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-13 04:03:34
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all and thank you for your help.

I have setup my router as a range extender for a router at my office. We don't use DSL anymore and only Wifi which made the router obsolete. But, I needed to extra range and read on the net that I can use it as a range extender,
This is what I have done: (my PC wired to router)
1. Change LAN IP address to same range as network I want to tap in. Reboot router
2. Enabled WDS under Wireless 2.4GHz | Basic Settings.
3. Scanned and logged into Wifi network and typed in the password for the network.
4. Reboot Router
5. Have internet on wired PC.
6. Successfully logged in via Wifi from my iPhone 6 and have internet.
7. After about 30 minutes iPhone does not have internet even though it is still connected to the Wifi network.
8, I deleted the connection and logged in again. Now there is only the turning circle next to the connection ID. When I tap on the i, it shows 169.254.254.198 as IP-address and not my network IP.
9. This happens with all devices.
9. I still have perfect internet on my wired PC.
10. I disabled DHCP Server and rebooted,
11. Still no success on Wifi connections,

I will really appreciate it if someone can help me with better/correct settings. What I don't understand is that I had Wifi internet on mobile devices for about 30 minutes and then nothing even though it shows a connection.

Please advise.
Options
2 Reply
2017-09-13 18:38:59
Model : TD-W8980

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.8 v000e.0 Build 150514 Rel.40138n

ISP :

Hi all and thank you for your help.

I have setup my router as a range extender for a router at my office. We don't use DSL anymore and only Wifi which made the router obsolete. But, I needed to extra range and read on the net that I can use it as a range extender,
This is what I have done: (my PC wired to router)
1. Change LAN IP address to same range as network I want to tap in. Reboot router
2. Enabled WDS under Wireless 2.4GHz | Basic Settings.
3. Scanned and logged into Wifi network and typed in the password for the network.
4. Reboot Router
5. Have internet on wired PC.
6. Successfully logged in via Wifi from my iPhone 6 and have internet.
7. After about 30 minutes iPhone does not have internet even though it is still connected to the Wifi network.
8, I deleted the connection and logged in again. Now there is only the turning circle next to the connection ID. When I tap on the i, it shows 169.254.254.198 as IP-address and not my network IP.
9. This happens with all devices.
9. I still have perfect internet on my wired PC.
10. I disabled DHCP Server and rebooted,
11. Still no success on Wifi connections,

I will really appreciate it if someone can help me with better/correct settings. What I don't understand is that I had Wifi internet on mobile devices for about 30 minutes and then nothing even though it shows a connection.

Please advise.
Options
Re:How to setup TD-W8980 as range extender
2017-09-14 09:37:36
The 169.254.x.x is an invalid IP address. Check on the other mobile devices if they can get correct IPs from W8980. Then check the IP and default gateway on your wired PC to comfirm who is the DHCP Server, it's the main router or the W8980. It's likely that the DHCP Server of W8980 may not turn off correctly.

If you main router supports 5G wifi, you can try to enable WDS under the 5G instead of 2.4g (ONLY keep one of the WDS running), then check if that works.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7181

Replies: 2