TL-PA8035P not compatible with IPv6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-14 04:36:19
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have recently bought a TL-PA8035P kit and discovered that they seem to be not compatible with IPv6.

I have made different tests and I was able to demonstrate that any equipment connected to any port of an adapter is not able to obtain an IPv6 address. All other equipments (wireless or wired) can obtain successfully an IPv6 address. My feeling is the incompatibility lies in the internal switch of the adapter because this IPv6 filtering happens even on the same adapter through the internal switch.

Am I the only one to experience such a bug? Do you know how to enable IPv6?

(Of course, I have updated the firmware to the latest available on tp-link website.)

Many thanks for your help,

Antoine
Options
20 Reply
Re:TL-PA8035P not compatible with IPv6
2017-09-15 16:58:37
Is the model number correct? I don't see a TL-PA8035P. But I know that TL-PA8030P support IPv6 but you need to contact tplink support to get the software to enable it.
Options
2017-09-16 04:02:47
I can confirm the model number. It is sold (at least in France): http://www.tp-link.fr/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA8035P-KIT.html

I have already contacted by email the (french) support 2 weeks ago without any answer. What would you recommend to contact tplink support?
Options
2017-09-18 04:54:12
The fastest way to get support in the UK seems to be to post a negative review on Amazon! Whilst I have never seen any support given by TP-Link on these support forums they seem to check and respond to Amazon reviews on a daily basis...Once you get in touch with them they are pretty helpful though, But any non routine questions / issues seem to require referring to HQ for an answer.

Alternatively, the devices should pass any IP traffic - it probably just doesn't know how to deal with the v6 DHCP broadcast. If you set a SLAAC IP v6 address that might work - and SLAAC tends to be preferred for IPv6 networks.

And do you really need IPv6 on your LAN? Many routers can gateway IPv4 on the LAN to IPv6 on the internet
Options
2017-09-19 05:22:54

The Vogon wrote

The fastest way to get support in the UK seems to be to post a negative review on Amazon! Whilst I have never seen any support given by TP-Link on these support forums they seem to check and respond to Amazon reviews on a daily basis...Once you get in touch with them they are pretty helpful though, But any non routine questions / issues seem to require referring to HQ for an answer.

Thank you for the advice. I will try this route.

Alternatively, the devices should pass any IP traffic - it probably just doesn't know how to deal with the v6 DHCP broadcast. If you set a SLAAC IP v6 address that might work - and SLAAC tends to be preferred for IPv6 networks.

I am using SLAAC but the Router Advertisement packets are barely passing through the adapter. After a while my system manage to acquire a valid IPv6 but unfortunately, it cannot contact any other hosts. This leads to a very poor user experience with plenty of timeouts before the OS switches to IPv4. For this reason, I have to completely disabled IPv6 for the hosts connected to the adapter.

I will try to capture packets on both side to understand better what is filtered/blocked.

And do you really need IPv6 on your LAN? Many routers can gateway IPv4 on the LAN to IPv6 on the internet

I am heavily using IPv6 to access some private network/VM. I really need direct IPv6 access.
Options
2017-09-27 02:37:07
I'm seeing exactly the same problem with the TL-WPA8730 Kit with both statically and dynamically assigned IPv6 Addresses.

Considering I just bought this to replace 4 year old powerline wifi kit that handled IPv6 without a single problem this is shockingly poor and without a guarantee of an imminent fix this will have to be returned for a full refund as unit for purpose
Options
2017-09-28 16:29:55

Matchstick wrote

I'm seeing exactly the same problem with the TL-WPA8730 Kit with both statically and dynamically assigned IPv6 Addresses.

Considering I just bought this to replace 4 year old powerline wifi kit that handled IPv6 without a single problem this is shockingly poor and without a guarantee of an imminent fix this will have to be returned for a full refund as unit for purpose

Just to follow up on this, I spoke to TP-Link support over live chat about this and to their credit they sent over an update which when applied to the WPA8730 does seem to have helped the problem - I only applied it yesterday evening so I'm still testing it but I definitely was seeing IPv6 working in initial testing.

So for anyone else seeing the issue it might be worth trying tech support to see if they have anything to help.
Options
2017-10-04 03:39:57
That does seem sucky that you have to ask, but then I guess these are sold as consumer level devices and relatively few home users need IPv6 these days!
Options
2017-10-04 14:33:56
Sorry, but that's just plain nonsense. Internet service providers hook you up on IPv6, the main routers in people's houses do IPv6, Windows does IPv6. A simple home infrastructure gadget like a PLC adapter breaking it is flat out pathetic.
Options
2017-10-05 00:13:23

Peter M wrote

Sorry, but that's just plain nonsense. Internet service providers hook you up on IPv6, the main routers in people's houses do IPv6, Windows does IPv6. A simple home infrastructure gadget like a PLC adapter breaking it is flat out pathetic.

I have to agree. I'm a home user and my ISP has been supporting IPv6 for more than 10 years and even the mass market ISPs in the UK like BT are FINALLY starting to roll out access.
Options
2017-10-06 00:39:20
I'm not aware of a single ISP that defaults solely to "hooking you up" to IPv6. Sure many of them support it but for niche uses and you usually have to choose to enable it or even request it be enabled. And of those most are "dual stack" where you also still get an IPv4 address.

For the vast majority of consumers IPv6 is simply not a requirement and is unlikely to become one any time soon. And much of the legacy router and wireless access point kit currently out there doesn't support IPv6 either. For instance Virgin Media - one of the largest UK ISPs - don't as yet support IPv6 at all.

That being said I would expect kit on the market in 2017 should support IPv6 by default. But that this doesn't probably says a lot about just how few people actually care...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2392

Replies: 20