DECO 5 AP Mode and Guest networks + access NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DECO 5 AP Mode and Guest networks + access NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:DECO 5 AP Mode and Guest networks + access NAS
2017-10-10 17:49:23
The answer is yes

stewartv wrote

Final Q !
If all Deco units are in AP mode, will it still act as a mesh system with the same SSIDs and handing over between APs when moving around the house?
Thanks!
Options
2017-10-11 00:22:20
This is great. I know that I have to put the first Deco into Router mode to add additional nodes and hope that TP-Link may address this in later firmware. Apart from being the best looking mesh units, at least in the future I can use all the router functionality should the need arise. In the meantime, I will leave all my IP cameras, NAS and printers (plus TVs) on my main router/switch as I now know they can all be accessed if every Deco unit is in AP mode and getting its IP addresses from my primary router - and as a result can access all my devices.

One additional thought that comes to mind; can one update firmware using the App if all the units are in AP mode? Or must one put a 'master' unit into router mode?

Thanks.
Options
2017-10-11 10:00:51
you can update no matter it's AP mode or router mode.
Options
2017-10-11 15:27:04
Thanks to everyone - off to the shops now!
Options
2019-12-26 22:24:15

@stewartv yes, mesh functionality remains after switching from Router>>AP

Options
Related Articles