Access point guest network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-16 10:43:26 - last edited 2022-11-16 15:55:25
Tags: #Access Point Mode #guest network
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

I have an Archer AX10/AX1500 set up as an access point. In the wireless settings there is a guest network option, which I would like, to enable guests to connect to the internet without opening up my network.

However, when connected to the guest network, I have full visibility of the main network, which seems a bit pointless.

TP Link's onine guide mentions advanced options, which aren't available in access-point mode.

There is a small section called Access Control, but disabling this does not resolve.

Any advice? Is the guest network pointless in access-point mode?

Thanks,

Matt

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Access point guest network-Solution
2022-11-16 12:34:30 - last edited 2022-11-16 15:55:25

@matt216 

That's a known limitation - check this thread to see why's that. Here's the difference between access point and router mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Access point guest network-Solution
2022-11-16 12:34:30 - last edited 2022-11-16 15:55:25

@matt216 

That's a known limitation - check this thread to see why's that. Here's the difference between access point and router mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Access point guest network
2022-11-16 15:55:14

@terziyski hmm as I understand it, if an access point were to perform network segregation then it wouldn't know how to direct clients to the gateway. OK. I wonder why the feature is offered at all in AP mode. Seems all it does is generate another set of wifi credentials.

I thought that home routers didn't actually segregate the network. i.e. not a different subnet. I thought that they just kept track of clients connected to the guest SSID and prevented ping, network discovery, etc, but (crucially) provided a route to the internet.

Ah well. Thanks for the response.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1050

Replies: 2

Tags

Access Point Mode
guest network
Related Articles