Votes

Archer AX73 Network Isolation in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-15 17:15:05
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20200907 rel.76867(4555)

Network isolation in the AX73 does not work in Access Point mode.

Since I have another router, I use this model only for Wifi, thus setting into AP mode.

The Guest Network menu advertises "Create wireless networks for your guests so that you don't need to disclose your main network." but its not true.

On the Guest Network I can still access all my network devices (my NAS, my Raspberries...etc).

There are no option to turn this off.

In this form, the Guest Network kinda useless, only another SSID for the same network.

If I set the router in Router mode, and use the "manual AP" mode, I can isolate the Guest Network, but that way I even cut it of from DHCP, making it imposible to connect to it.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer AX73 Network Isolation in AP mode
2021-09-07 11:09:37

@Miberecz 

Imagine when the router is working in AP mode, and it is allowed to configure isolation between the main and the guest, the devices connected to the guest will not be able to access the internet, as it cannot communicate with the gateway in this configuration.

When working in AP mode, the main reason to have the main network and the guest network is to distinguish the two, as some customers prefer not to share the wireless credentials with guests.

Options
2021-09-08 08:45:00

@Kevin_Z 

I just found you are inquiring about this in a different thread, are you referring to the same issue as below? I explained this to you already:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/270428?replyId=632272

Options
2021-09-08 08:55:09

@Kevin_Z 

Although I came by the two problem at the same time, they are separate things. Network isolation is one thing I want to solve, but the routing problem I mention there is for another reason. Namely if I want to use the VPN server function of the router behind another router, I cannot because that routing issue. Clients connected to the VPN server cannot communicate with the outside without a proper entry in the routing table.

Anyways, you answered in the wrong thread, now its bit of a mess :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1125

Replies: 3

Voters 1