VR600 Wifi clients can't see wired NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-23 16:26:20
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've just purchased a VR600 and after setup, I found that I couldn't see my QNAP NAS, which I had plugged into one of the ethernet ports. After some experimentation, I discovered that I could see it ok if I plugged my laptop into one of the ethernet ports as well, it's only when the laptop is connected via Wifi that it can't see the NAS. I also have a Volumio music server (also connected via wifi) that can't see the NAS either (where all the music is).

AP Isolation is disabled (which is the default).
There is no MAC blocking setup.

I spent about 2 hours last night failing to resolve this. There are a number of similar problems on forums, but none of the solutions work for me. The box has been reset, re-setup etc, all to no avail. If I put the old router back in, everything works ok again (apart from the problem that the old router tends to fail after a while, hence getting the new one).

I'm at the point of giving up on TP-Link, getting a refund and another brand. Or maybe someone here has an idea? ;)
Options
8 Reply
Re:VR600 Wifi clients can't see wired NAS
2017-10-23 17:48:21
when connected to the LAN port, able to ping the QNAP NAS on the PC? any guest network on your router?
Maybe you can contact tp-link support team on support@tp-link.com, they will response
Options
2017-10-25 03:01:29
I managed to get this to work, but only through trial and error, swirthing cables around, rebooting, re-setting up etc. finally, I had the NAS available to the PC, and the music streamer could see it too. I re-booted the NAS, and it's gone again :( No, I can't ping it either. It looks like it's ok, and I suspect I'll see it fine again, if I connect my PC back through the ethernet port.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think the router's going back though :(
Options
2017-10-25 17:19:37
sorry to hear about that :(
Options
2017-10-27 17:58:01
great model, as for me
Options
2017-10-29 05:59:38
Hi ,

I have the VR900 and I found it best to setup my NAS with a fixed IP address ,
( use " Address Reservation " go to ADVANCED in router setup then go to Network / LAN settings and scroll down near end of page )
as soon as I did this I could access via LAN and both 2.4 / 5 Ghz wireless bands.

I also have a 128GB USB flash drive plugged into USB port 1 , that works fine via Win 10 and Win 7 via " Network " but the USB settings for the shared dongle had to be setup
under Advanced in the router settings , I can access this dongle via the Internet when out from my Mobile phone using DynDNS , via FTP or HTTPS.

Not sure if setting up the share settings on the USB may have affected the share on the LAN NAS as did it all at once , might be worth checking this ?

It is very easy to setup the fixed IP address in the router under " Address Reservation " , just remember to set the DHCP pool up to give you some free addresses away from DHCP allocation eg: 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 for the IP Address pool ( DHCP ) leaves 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99 which gives 98 free addresses for NAS/Mobiles/Laptops etc.
( Also another 55 IP's at the other end from 200 to 255 in case you need some extra )
My router uses 192.168.0.1 as its setup page , yours may well be different eg : 192.168.1.1 or 256 but the principle is the same.

I have given a fixed IP address to my 4 Laptops / 2 Desktops / 5 Mobiles / Shared LAN Printer / NAS / TV / TalkTalk Box etc, doing this has made my " Network " far more reliable , also its easier than fixing IP on equipment as Laptops / Mobiles need to use auto DHCP when out.

By doing this in router means every time the router sees that MAC address it gives it the same IP that you have specified ( anywhere from 192.168.0.2 to 99 )

The auto DHCP still works from 192.168.0.100 to 199 so you have 99 addresses the router can allocate for friends and families mobiles and laptops etc.

Also you can tell equipment where to find each other with an IP, and when rebooting etc the auto DHCP doesn't give the equipment a new IP address , this may well be your problem ?

It is also nice as you can setup a shortcut on Desktop to an IP address for the NAS etc so when Windows is having a bad day on the Network , you can still easily access NAS etc.

Goodluck.
Options
2017-10-30 02:01:25
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. All good advice, which will no doubt help others. I've returned the router now, but I did try those approaches out. I intially set the NAS up with a reserved IP address, and my Volumio streamer connected to the NAS directly via the IP address, rather than a NS lookup. When that didn't work I reverted back to the 'out of the box approach' , with no reserved address, and connecting to the NAS by hostname. Looking at the system log on the router, it seems that the DHCP 'handshake' just wasn't happening. All it showed was "LAN1 link up, LAN1 link down, LAN1 Link up, LAN1 link down" etc. If I then switched the NAS to a different LAN port I could see the DHCP negotiation take place, with an IP served (reserved, or not), and I was in business. Re-boot the NAS and the error was back, this time on (e.g.) LAN2 Link.

I had no USB devices plugged in. There was a homeplug connection on another port. Needless to say, I tried all variations with that disconnected as well. After hours, and hours of experimentation over several nights, I returned the box, before I threw it at the wall.

Other people's experiences may vary ;)
Options
2017-10-30 02:05:18
I'm glad it works for you. Is there anything in your set-up that was different, that might have helped me? I think I just had a faulty unit. I ran out of things to try.
Options
2017-10-30 02:08:19

AlyssaTallent wrote

great model, as for me

I'm glad it worked for you. Is there anything different in your setup, that might have helped me? I think I just had a faulty unit. I ran out of things to try.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1397

Replies: 8

Related Articles