TL-WA850RE Invalid Password Error

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WA850RE Invalid Password Error

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Same Issue for me
2018-05-29 01:43:39
Macbook Pro, late 2011 with Sierra installed.I have 3 TP-Link WA850RE all configured identically (with no problems from any other household device)When configured as OPEN, the MBP can connect, but with WPA/WPA2 Personal - no dice.I have done all macbook troubleshooting tricks I can find.A solution would be greatly appreciated!
Options
Re:TL-WA850RE Invalid Password Error
2019-12-10 23:40:57

@hknslvi Having the same issue. I can not connect my Mac Pro desktop to the extended network created from the WA850RE because it claims the password is invalid (which it isn't). Running High Sierra if that makes any difference. Did a live chat with TP-Link and they claimed because I can connect to the extended network on my iphone it's not their problem that I can't connect to it on the computer. The agent was the least helpful agent I've come across. This is ridiculous. What's the issue here and more importantly, what's the fix?!

Options
2019-12-11 06:06:54

@TP-Annoyed 

What is the hardware and firmware version of the Tl-WA850RE? Please ensure that the firmware is the latest one. 

And what is the OS version of your Mac High Sierra? 

Good day. 

Options
Re:TL-WA850RE Invalid Password Error-Solution
2019-12-12 02:54:07 - last edited 2019-12-13 01:13:10

@Kevin_Z 

I just upgraded the extenders firmware and it fixed the issue. I'm shocked the TP Link Live chat agent never asked what my devices firmware was or recommended upgrading it. Thanks Kevin. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-12-13 01:13:06 - last edited 2019-12-13 01:17:56

@TP-Annoyed 

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that you figured it out finally. 

Now you can enjoy the internet with the extender and your Macbook. 

And we would inform our agents to be more careful to get these basic information to provide some suggestion. 

Best regards. 

Options
2020-11-17 20:14:58

TP-Annoyed wrote

@Kevin_Z 

I just upgraded the extenders firmware and it fixed the issue. I'm shocked the TP Link Live chat agent never asked what my devices firmware was or recommended upgrading it. Thanks Kevin. 

@TP-Annoyed 

Options
2021-01-25 12:57:10

I have a related issue, but not quite the same as the above problems. I recently switched phones, and in the process, installed the Tether App onto my 'new' phone. I then had to log in to my Tether account (email address and password) and then I can see my device (WA850RE) and I then click on it and it asks me to log in again and provide a password. I'm not sure what password is required here, but I tried both. First I tried the network login (Wi-Fi) password, but that didn't work, then I tried the Tether account password, which also didn't work.

So then I went back to my old phone, into the Tether app and when I launch tether, I click on the device and it logs in. So the old phone is logged into the range extender and the functionality is there to make whatever changes I might need in the future. However, this old phone won't be around forever and I need to be able to login on the new phone, which I am currently struggling to do.

I should mention at this stage that the range extender is working perfectly and both phones can connect to the Wi-Fi via the device, without any problems. I just can't fathom which password the RE is looking for. I don't recall ever setting up any passwords for the RE and If I did I would have written it down in my password management system. I've looked there, but all I find is my Tether account login and password. I assumed the Wi-Fi password would be the correct one, since the RE inherits the password from the router, but the RE doesn't accept it. I also tried 'admin' but that also doesn't work.

I'm a little wary of logging out of the RE on the old phone, since I may never get back in again, without resetting back to factory defaults, and having to set up the network again. The old phone is powered off most of the time, so it can't be conflicting with the new one.

Is there a limit on how many devices (phones) can be logged into the RE via Tether App at any one time? if I logged out on the old phone, would that solve the problem?

Any suggestions?

Options
2021-04-22 17:49:45
I can't connect
Options
Re:TL-WA850RE Invalid Password Error-Solution
2021-12-02 10:10:33 - last edited 2021-12-02 10:54:14

Hello everyone, 
Thank you all for providing feedback here, we have an instruction that may help resolve ' wireless devices unable to connect to Wi-Fi extender' concern , please check out thread here for details:
[Troubleshooting]  Unable to Connect to WiFi Extender Saying Incorrect Password

Feel free to comment in the above thread and let us know if that works for you. 
Thank you.

Recommended Solution
Options
Related Articles