Using HS100 to power cycle broadband wifi router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-15 21:48:57
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi everyone,

I've had a quick Google and look around here and can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question.

My situation is that my wifi router (well, technically my broadband router as it's a Virgin (allegedly) Smart Hub 2 which is cable modem & wifi router) is occasionally a bit flakey with the internet connection and needs power cycling to get it to start behaving again as the web interface seems to become quite unusable in this situation as well.

To that end I'd like to use a HS100 to turn the router off and then back on again remotely (and for preference with a delay of a few seconds between power off and power on), but I'm not clear enough on how the HS100 works to know if it'll do the turning back on part will work as by that stage the wifi will be off. Is it possible to trigger a set of stored commands on a HS100 (power off, count 10 seconds, power on), especially using Alex or Google Assistant?

thanks

Simon
Options
8 Reply
Re:Using HS100 to power cycle broadband wifi router
2017-11-21 16:16:52
You can turn it off and on manually, but cannot do (power off, count 10 seconds, power on).
Options
2017-11-22 07:06:22

Kevin SG wrote

You can turn it off and on manually, but cannot do (power off, count 10 seconds, power on).

Ah. I feared as much

Thanks for your response
Options
2017-11-22 09:40:31
If your internet is a bit flaky you may not have access from a cloud service to fix it... Alexa, Google, IFTTT, et al, and TP Link remote access all need to connect from the internet to do something like that.
I know you were asking if one of those services supports it, but perhaps for anyone else that wants it - recognizing the need to recycle routers occasionally AutomationManager (when running as a rule server) has a rule to do just that - switch the HSxxx off and back on (yes, even though wifi is gone while it's off). A handy trigger for the rule is when a common website (the default is google.com) isn't available.
Options
2017-11-22 14:38:36

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

If your internet is a bit flaky you may not have access from a cloud service to fix it... Alexa, Google, IFTTT, et al, and TP Link remote access all need to connect from the internet to do something like that.
I know you were asking if one of those services supports it, but perhaps for anyone else that wants it - recognizing the need to recycle routers occasionally AutomationManager (when running as a rule server) has a rule to do just that - switch the HSxxx off and back on (yes, even though wifi is gone while it's off). A handy trigger for the rule is when a common website (the default is google.com) isn't available.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that
Options
2017-11-23 07:49:56
I have the HS105 and have no problem doing this on a schedule. The schedule you setup will be in memory as I have mine scheduled to shutdown and power back up after a minute three times a day.

If you use the app to turn off the plug on demand, you can't use the app to power on the plug since there'll be no wifi on the plug. If you power off the plug you'll have to manually press the button on the plug to power it back up.
Options
2017-11-30 06:09:00

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

Could you elaborate a little on what AutomationManager is?
Options
2017-11-30 17:52:44
Actually your requirement can be met. I have try on my device to create 2 schedule entries:
1. Power off in hh:mm.
2. Power on in hh:m(m+1).

Then even I unplug the router's WAN port cable the schedule took effect.
Options
2017-12-01 08:32:31
Definitely will work for a scheduled reboot (many routers already have that feature in their admin function). I may have misunderstood but I think the original requirement was for a reboot request on demand vs on a schedule.

You can see more about AutomationManager by clicking my name here and following it to my web site. Basically it's an app that lets you run a low end android phone as a hub for this and a few other "cloud" devices so you don't need to rely on their clouds, or give up personal information too them, or be locked into a single vendor. One of the things it provides is a local rule engine in the android hub that gives you more flexibility than the device itself does.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1120

Replies: 8