Why is the HS200 spamming my network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-01 00:39:11
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I decided to block the HS200 from connecting to the internet so that it's LAN only. The app shows local but why does it still need to connect to devs.tplinkcloud.com?

Its spamming my network every second trying to connect, here is a small snip of 1200 entries in the last few hours. Once it connects it stops spamming, how can I redirect devs.tplinkcloud.com to local so it stops the spamming?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Why is the HS200 spamming my network?
2017-12-01 08:36:58
It is a disturbing thing about the TP Link devices - even when set to for local only they're still calling out to their cloud. I'd be a little more sympathetic if they only called out to an NTP server so they could run scheduled rules. So I just block them and live with it (and of course with my app the devices don't need to tell time themselves).

I hope the CS team here have a suggestion on how to stop it. Some devices let you change the cloud address or shut it off completely - if there's an API for that I'll add that function to my app.
Options
2017-12-01 09:13:56
I hope you do find something to get around this, i blocked one site and now another is spamming the network.
Options
2017-12-01 22:25:37
I *think* I've got it - tested on the HS110, the only TCP connection I see now is the redirect to my internal server. If you want it early I should have it out in a few days or so in the beta (instructions to join it on google play are on my site).
Options
2018-02-18 17:19:15
Markp,
did you ever solve this problem of the HS110 constantly calling home and spamming NTP servers?
Options
2018-02-18 17:37:38

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

I *think* I've got it - tested on the HS110, the only TCP connection I see now is the redirect to my internal server. If you want it early I should have it out in a few days or so in the beta (instructions to join it on google play are on my site).

Did you manage to solve this?
Does your solution also stop the HS110 spamming NTP servers?
Options
2018-02-19 00:21:00
Yep, it was released a while ago. Only works for HS type devices, the LB ones don't allow the cloud URL to be changed.
The only way to stop the NTP outgoing is to deny them access to the internet using your router's firewall, and of course that works for their cloud URL too.

This would mean they can't be controlled remotely nor keep proper time for automation so you'd need an app like mine to manage them.
Options
2018-02-23 18:28:36
Thanks for the reply Mikep.
I do block the requests to NTP servers and devs.tplinkcloud.com . I have 2 HS110's and almost half the traffic on my lan are just from these two devices phoning home and checking the time.

I may be slightly eccentric, but I dont want to control my devices from the internet, and I dont want devices leaking information. Time to look for an alternative product.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2204

Replies: 7