Deco M5 powerline upgrade? - HomePlug USB-C Charger Adapter option for Powerline Backhaul with TP-Link Deco M5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 powerline upgrade? - HomePlug USB-C Charger Adapter option for Powerline Backhaul with TP-Link Deco M5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-09 15:19:52
What happened to the rumoured HomePlug Powerline USB-C Charger Adapter option for TP-Link Deco M5 for integrated HomePlug Powerline Backhaul support?

When the TP-Link Deco M5 was announced at CES 2017 there was a rumour that a second model called "TP-Link Deco M5 Plus" which would come with a HomePlug Powerline USB-C Charger Adapter.

https://www.cnet.com/news/tp-link-unveils-intention-to-enter-wi-fi-system-market-with-scatchy-details-ces-2017/

The second system is called Deco M5 Plus Router with Powerline. It's basically the same as the first with one addition: It uses a different power adapter that also works as a powerline adapter. In other words, when using a new Powerline-enabled power adapter, TP-Link's first Wi-Fi system will become its second system. And now, apart from Wi-Fi, each unit in the system has the option of using the electrical wiring of the home to connect to one another. TP-Link says the system will automatically detect in real-time which is faster, the Wi-Fi or the Powerline connection, to use as the back-haul connection to connect the hardware units together. As far as what Powerline standard is used, that's not available right now. My guess is it's going to use the latest Powerline standard with a top speed of 1,300 megabits per second.

Assumed that the rumoured Powerline-enabled USB-C power adapter for the Deco M5 Plus would also be sold as a standalone option which could make any existing Deco M5 into a "Plus" model?

I thought that was the point with the TP-Link Deco M5 even having a USB-C plug and not a a more standard power-adapter plug normally used?

For reference; HomePlug is a power-line communication specification from the HomePlug Powerline Alliance which TP-Link is a member of, and TP-Link is already an adaptor of HomePlug:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication

[*] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug

[*] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance
PS: I would buy such HomePlug Powerline USB-C Charger Adapters if they was sold in Europe and Scandinavia (Sweden to be exact).
Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco M5 powerline upgrade? - HomePlug USB-C Charger Adapter option for Powerline Backhaul with TP-Link Deco M5?
2018-01-09 15:26:31
As a follow-up question I was also wondering if TP-Link to in addition could offer a raised Ceiling-Mount (indoor Roof-Mount) and Wall-Mount fittings bracket/platform for the Deco M5 which could fit a such powerline/homeplug adapter inside it?

So if TP-Link even release a HomePlug Powerline USB-C Charger Adapter option for TP-Link Deco M5 and you would want to Ceiling-Mount or Wall-Mount the unit then it iwould be hard to hide the power-adapter without a raised platform.

That is, Ceiling-Mounting like you would normally do with a smoke-detector.
Options
Re:Deco M5 powerline upgrade? - HomePlug USB-C Charger Adapter option for Powerline Backhaul with TP-Link Deco M5?
2018-01-10 22:52:47
Huawei have now released a competing product that does this but not only that, it also allow you to run a hybrid backhaul where it uses load-balancing technology to combine both WiFi and Powerline backhauls for a higher combined speeds, lower latency, and a better connection reliability if there should be problems with either the Powerline or WiFi Mesh.

Huawei is calling this Hybrid Powerline WiFi Load Balancer system a “Hybrid Home WiFi System":

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/09/huaweis-new-whole-home-wifi-system-combines-powerline-and-mesh-networking/

Huawei’s new whole-home Wi-Fi system combines Powerline and mesh networking

Huawei today announced a new whole-home Wi-Fi system, the WiFi Q2. Wi-Fi mesh network systems are quickly becoming the standard, with companies like Qualcomm estimating that they now account for 40 percent of new Wi-Fi router sales. Huawei is going a different route, though. In addition to a Wi-Fi mesh, it also uses a Powerline network that routes your traffic over the existing electrical system in your house instead of dedicated Ethernet cables.

The result of this (ideally), is that your various satellite access points all get full-speed internet access without the potential of network degradation as you get further away from the main hub. And when both the mesh and the Powerline network work together at full speed, you could get connections with up to 1867Mbps (if your home internet can handle that, of course). The company also promises that you’ll be able to connect up to 192 devices and that the switching time for the network is about 100ms.

“We are streaming more content than ever before, more music, more movies, and more social media on more connected devices, which makes fast and reliable Wi-Fi an essential need,” said Richard Yu, CEO, Huawei Consumer Business Group in today’s announcement.” ͞The Huawei WiFi Q2 offers today’s families a hybrid whole home Wi-Fi system with a reliable, flexible solution that expands Wi-Fi throughout our homes.”

The company also notes that, in addition to all of the usual Wi-Fi encryption and password protection, it’s also using an “anti-brute force algorithm” to keep hackers from getting into your network.

It’s worth noting that Huawei isn’t the first company to combine Powerline and Wi-Fi mesh networking. TP-Link announced a similar system at CES last year, but it doesn’t look like it ever went on sale.

The Q2 will sell in the U.S., with three-packs selling for $349. What we do know, though, is that the company plans to sell it in two versions: the hybrid solution we described above, as well as one that only relies on Powerline networking with up to 1 Gbps speeds. These will sell in three-packs, though the company will also sell individual base and satellite routers.

https://www.cnet.com/news/huawei-wifi-q2-thinks-its-solved-wireless-router-problem/

Huawei WiFi Q2 says it solves your wireless router problems
One of the world's largest telecom networking companies wants you to let it into your home.

There are two problems with wireless routers at home. The first is getting seamless coverage -- there are always blind spots. The second is that the further you get from the access point, the slower your connection speeds. Mesh network systems, in which devices on the network can talk to each other, have addressed both of these issues by blanketing your home with multiple satellite access points.

A new contender in this market is Huawei, one of the world's biggest suppliers of networking infrastructure equipment. It got up on stage at CES 2018 to announce its humble offering, a hybrid 5G-powerline Wi-Fi system called the Huawei WiFi Q2. It pairs base units and satellite repeaters that plug into an ordinary wall outlet.

Huawei will sell the base units and repeaters in sets. A three-pack of base units will cover five to seven rooms in your home (think kitchen, living room, bedrooms...), and a base unit and two satellites will supply Wi-Fi to four or five rooms. If you've got a smaller place, like an apartment, the smallest grouping of one base and one satellite should suffice.

https://www.slashgear.com/huawei-wifi-q2-mesh-router-adds-powerline-for-easy-setup-09514518/

Huawei WiFi Q2 mesh router adds Powerline for easy setup
Huawei is getting into the mesh router business, unveiling the Huawei WiFi Q2, a multi-unit networking system that combines wireless and powerline backhaul. Announced at CES 2018 today, the WiFi Q2 also has an eye on the Internet of Things (IoT), promising a dedicated channel that will automatically shift connected device and smart home traffic into its own, separate lane.

It’s not, in fact, Huawei‘s first ride of the mesh networking horse. Before this new system came the Huawei WiFi Q1 in mid-2016, though the company only offered it in China. In contrast, the WiFi Q2 will be sold in the US later this year.

Like eero’s second-generation setup, Huawei has opted for two types of router. The core of the system is the larger base station, which has three gigabit ethernet ports. The smaller satellites have a single ethernet port, and are designed to plug straight into an outlet. Each support AC1200.

You can have up to sixteen different routers working in a single configuration. What sets Huawei’s approach apart from that of, say, Google Wifi is its use of powerline networking.

Huawei is calling it a “Hybrid Home WiFi System,” and it’s basically combining wired and wireless options. On the one hand, there’s a 1,867 Mbps wireless link between each of the units. However, they also get a 1 Gbps PLC powerline backhaul they can use instead. The WiFi Q2 automatically adjusts its use of each, choosing the best connection for each purpose and doing active load balancing to shift traffic between the two.

Huawei says that takes less than 100 ms to do, and is imperceivable to the user. The WiFi Q2 auto-selects the channel to use, but also reserves a second channel that it saves for IoT devices. There’s no manual setup for that, with Huawei promising that its mesh system can automatically spot IoT traffic and route it accordingly.

Powerline networking has another advantage, and that’s in setup. After you’ve configured the first base station, it shares all your settings over the power network with each subsequent unit you plug in. Huawei says that it means each satellite installation takes only around two minutes.

Three boxed systems will be offered, their suitability based on home size and layout. The largest will have three base stations, which Huawei suggests is sufficient for coverage across 5-7 rooms in a multi-floor home. A second set, with a single base station and two satellites, is enough for 4-5 rooms, while a pair of one base station and one satellite will do for 3-4 rooms.

Of course, you’ll also be able to buy them each individually, to expand coverage as required. Pricing for the Huawei WiFi Q2 will be announced closer to its launch, which is expected to take place at the end of April.

https://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2018/01/10/huaweis-new-wi-fi-routers-solve-a-serious-first-world-problem/

Huawei’s new Wi-Fi routers solve a serious first world problem

Yesterday, Chinese networking giant Huawei unveiled its new Wi-Fi router at the CES exhibition in Las Vegas. The Huawei WiFi Q2 is the company’s latest mesh network router, allowing users to pair a base station with as many as sixteen satellites in order to provide a larger area with coverage.

So, if you’ve ever complained that your house is too big for your existing router, these are for you. If you live in a pokey little apartment, not so much.

Routers that use mesh networking technology are nothing new. Linksys, Netgear, and Google all have their own compelling offerings. Huawei says the WiFi Q2 is unique as it uses a hybrid system that also employs a 1Gb PLC (Power Line Communication) connection, which offers backhaul and load balancing across the network.

The WiFi Q2 looks pretty nice, at least by the low standard set by routers. They’re solid, sterile-looking tubes, with no protruding buttons and aerials. They’re also purportedly easy to set up, and are largely plug-and-play. According to Huawei, a satellite can connect in just under two minutes.

Huawei is selling the WiFi Q2 in three variants. It comes with either one, two, or three satellites. Medium sized offices and apartments could probably eke by with either one or two, but if you’re struggling to get a solid connection from the wing of your mansion that houses your Scrooge McDuck pool of money, you might want to stump up for the three satellite version. And at that point, if you’re still struggling to cover your entire house, you can purchase additional satellite hotspots. Or, like, maybe downsize?

Unfortunately, the company is yet to announce pricing and availability.
Options
2018-01-11 16:21:14
I noticed the other day that when filling out the support form, one of the options in the device dropdown is Deco M5 Plus. But given it's the first time I've used that form I don't know how long the option has been there ;-)
Options
2018-01-11 20:14:58
I now noticed that TP-Link Philippines have actually updated their original Deco product page on the 1st of january this year and at the bottom of that page now mentions a "Deco M2 Plus" model powerline capabilities:

http://www.tp-link.com/ph/home-networking/deco/

" Create a More Reliable Wi-Fi System through Powerline

Deco M5 Plus supports powerline networking. Decos automatically choose between Wi-Fi and powerline methods for connecting to one another to guarantee the best quality Wi-Fi in your home."

I assume that means that it uses Powerline or WiFi exlusivly as backhaul at any one time, even if it automatically switches between the two? Meaning that it does not use a hybrid load-balancer backaul to combine Powerline and WiFi, such as Huawai claim that their WiFi Q2 models will use?

My follow-up questions regardless are; when and where we can buy these in Europe/Scandinavia (perticualarly in Sweden)? And when and where will we be able to buy just the Powerline enabled USB-C power-adapter for existing Deco M5 model as an option to be able to upgrade our existing models?
Options
2018-01-19 22:48:29
TP-Link US have now posted this news post which sais that they showcased Deco M5 Plus Router with Powerline at CES 2018

http://www.tp-link.com/us/news-details-17242.html

" The Deco M5 Plus Router with Powerline is the most advanced version that features built-in Powerline technology. This router is the first Whole-Home Wi-Fi System that incorporates both Wi-Fi and powerline technologies into one small form factor, providing an even stronger connection for wireless devices across the home.

“With consumer demands on the rise, OEMs and technology providers must collaborate effectively to address the challenge of managing network performance,” said Gopi Sirineni, vice president, product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “TP-Link Deco, armed with our advanced Qualcomm ® Wi-Fi solutions, is equipped to help ensure consumers will have an easy to use, more seamless connectivity experience than ever before."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dk_Iu2OyXk
Options
2018-10-24 15:25:48
@ TP-Link; Whatever happened to the rumored Powerline USB-C Charger Adapter upgrade option for the Deco M5 series from TP-Link?

I see that
TP-Link has released Deco P7 package but though not perfectly clear as I understand it that package is just the Deco M5 with classic AV600 Powerline adapters for a traditional HomePlug implementation using separate TP-Link AV600 Powerline pass-through adapters, not the promised implementation which would use different USB-C Charger Adapters with integrated Powerline support, or is that not the case?

Anyway, my question stands; what about being able to buy USB-C Powerline Adapters as an upgrade option for our existing Deco M5?

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 powerline upgrade? - HomePlug USB-C Charger Adapter option for Powerline Backhaul with TP-Link Deco M5?
2019-04-23 10:09:31
I'm also interested! Wouldn't want to buy a new P7 for only the powerline function, if it's possible to upgrade the M5 I've already got... /Swede
Options
Re- HomePlug USB-C Charger Adapter option for Powerline Backhaul with TP-Link Deco M5?
2019-04-24 01:53:58

Hi all,

The Deco M5 does not support powerline backhaul function, only Deco P7 does. 

Meanwhile, there is no plan to add this function into M5 yet. 

If you guys want to use powerline backhaul, the Deco P7 will be a better choice. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re- HomePlug USB-C Charger Adapter option for Powerline Backhaul with TP-Link Deco M5?
2019-04-26 10:17:37

Understand. Disappointed tho. Bought my M5 early with the understanding and hope that it would be possible to upgrade it to the M5 plus that was presented at the time. Now I'm supposed to buy a new kit with P7 instead of 3 powerplugs, quite a difference in price. Remind me not to buy a new product early anymore and not to believe anything until it actually already released. In the meantime I'll settle with the M5. Thx for the answer anyways. 

Options
Re:Re:Re- HomePlug USB-C Charger Adapter option for Powerline Backhaul with TP-Link Deco M5?
2019-04-28 02:32:05

Hi,

I see, sorry for the trouble caused.

If you want to buy a product regarding to some specific features, you can contact our tech support to verify whether it supports in case of potential loss. 

Thanks for your support for our TP-Link product also, and have a nice day. 

S0uls3ll3r wrote

Understand. Disappointed tho. Bought my M5 early with the understanding and hope that it would be possible to upgrade it to the M5 plus that was presented at the time. Now I'm supposed to buy a new kit with P7 instead of 3 powerplugs, quite a difference in price. Remind me not to buy a new product early anymore and not to believe anything until it actually already released. In the meantime I'll settle with the M5. Thx for the answer anyways. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4967

Replies: 10