Upstream errors reported by Archer VR900 V2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-17 18:35:12
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

In the last three days I have replaced a Sky Q router with an Archer VR900 V2. It was a painless transition and everything works as it did or better; other than my downstream being increased by 1 Mbps and my upstream being reduced by 1 Mbps, which is OK by me, if a little puzzling.

My question is that the router reports a large number of upstream errors and zero errors on downstream, whereas the Sky reported scarcely any errors. My connection seems rock solid and I observe no obvious problems. Could this be an issue with the VR900 V2's firmware? Has anyone else observed anything like this? A web search suggests that misreporting of errors is not an uncommon router fault.

Please see below for a snapshot of my router's statistics and the stats from the old router. Any comments appreciated

Options
5 Reply
Re:Upstream errors reported by Archer VR900 V2
2018-02-22 01:52:48
Hi ,

Had exactly the same issues a few months ago , don't stress its nothing to worry about , yes you probably do have some errors the VR900 is very sensitive on its reporting of Upstream errors ,but not something to worry about if your throughput is not suffering.

I also notice your SNR margin on downstream is very low at 3.3 , have you got something in your house that is putting noise into the mains or into phone line , a good favourite
is cheapo USB wall chargers or LED lights , BT call it REIN noise , go look on www.kitz.co.uk they explain it in detail.

Go look at my posting here :

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?98606-Archer-VR900-v2-NO-STATS

If you need the link to the extra info PM me and I'll send it to you :)

Here is a look at my stats , router has not been reset for a couple of months .

Dave.
File:
Stats on VR900v2.jpgDownload
Options
2018-02-22 03:37:49
Hi ,

Had exactly the same issues a few months ago , don't stress its nothing to worry about , yes you probably do have some errors the VR900 is very sensitive on its reporting of Upstream errors ,but not something to worry about if your throughput is not suffering.

I also notice your SNR margin on downstream is very low at 3.3 , have you got something in your house that is putting noise into the mains or into phone line , a good favourite
is cheapo USB wall chargers or LED lights , BT call it REIN noise , go look on www.kitz.co.uk they explain it in detail.

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....00-v2-NO-STATS

Here is a look at my stats , router has not been reset for a couple of months .

Dave.
File:
Stats on VR900v2..jpgDownload
Options
2018-02-23 01:52:13

Dink wrote

Hi ,

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....00-v2-NO-STATS

Here is a look at my stats , router has not been reset for a couple of months .Dave.

Thanks v much for that informative reply. I believe the reason why my noise margin is so low is because of this. On stable lines, BT has been rolling out with DLM lower SNR thresholds to improve throughput, which has certainly been the result with my line. Until a couple of weeks ago my SNR was 6.0 dB, which was the standard. But the line has held steady at 3.2/3.3 with a significant increase in download speed.

On an unrelated matter, have you any experience of using the VR900's guest SSIDs? I can't get them to work as advertised. You should be able to configure them to stream media from the media server built into the router, but I cannot get it to work. My idea was that I would connect TVs and set top boxes to the guest account to isolate them from the rest of my network. But it's been a bust. I think it is a fault with the firmware but I still haven't managed to get TP-LINK to admit to that.

Thanks again for your assistance
Options
2018-02-24 04:24:56
Good luck with the guest SSID bit , never got it to work consistently , gave up , turned Guest wireless off and just put the TV and Media box on the Network , a bonus in one way as I can stream to my Laptops etc straight from the USB dongle (120 GB ) that's in router port as well as using the UPNP and DLN through TV / Media Box etc to Laptops , so if one way was upset I could use the other without having to reboot router , don't think it does work properly , I had better luck on Win 7 but Win 10 ......No Go , lol., however if connected to the normal Network all works fine.

I also got an 8 port Gigabit switch and put that next to TV and ran a LAN cable to router , that way all Set Top Boxes / TV / Media box / X Box etc could do LAN and left me full bandwidth on wireless for my Laptops and Phones / Tablets , plus there is NO SECURITY crap on LAN so a lot less hassles than wireless ;) I then added a TP Link AP500 and plugged it into the Gigabit switch as I have flint walls and wireless and Flints are not a good combo ( lots of Iron in flint ) so I have superb wireless all around house now, as BT line comes into back of house into kitchen so that is where VR900 lives.

Regards the SNR margin , as long as your line can handle it , it's not a problem , used to run a Billion 7800N , on them you can lie to the DSLAM at your cabinet and get it right down to nearly 0 if your line doesn't suffer from too many errors. Not sure if these TP Link's allow that tweak , but I was out in the sticks then and the tweak meant I could get 2Mbps download rather than 512Kbps , which was amazingly different , now I am 400 yds. from the main exchange , so don't need tweaks I get superb connection.

Don't waste your time with TP Link UK , go straight to TP Link .com you will get real Tech help not just fobbed off with stupid answers.
Options
2018-02-25 21:27:53
Thanks for that. Unfortunately the hard wiring of the set top box and TV is not an option for me as internet terminates in my office and the TV and set top box are some distance from it. Unless I have a LAN wired into my house. Or I suppose I could use an old 9980 I have as a wireless switch and hardwire it to the TV. That means that I can turn off the wireless on the TV. But frankly all it's a just too much hard work.

This morning a TP-LINK engineer spent a couple of hours remotely connected to my PC trying to get guest accounts to access the media server. He couldn't. In the end he pronounced it to be a bug, which I knew it was anyway. I will keep the router, nevertheless. As a Sky customer there aren't many alternatives and it is many times better than the Sky Q hub
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1304

Replies: 5

Related Articles