Archer VR900 V2 Disconnects when uploading large files

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-04-15 22:10:09
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi All,

Looking for someone whos either had this and know the answer of maybe someone who knows how I could troubleshoot further.

I have an Archer VR900 V2 and am on Sky ADSL Broadband. (FTTC I think) and get around 18Mb download and 1Mb upload.

In general this works absolutely fine with zero issues, doesnt matter whether Im watching Netflix, VPN into work, downloading, anything. Where I start to get problems is when I attempt to upload a file on any significant size. The router drops the connection and then refuses to connect until I reboot. I know its the router thats dropped the connection as it tell me in the admin page and everything else on the network loses connection also. I also know its the router because the Sky Home Hub router that Sky provides works without any issues at all.

I first noticed when trying to upload an audio file to Soundcloud and that file was sabout 80mb in size, so anything over 50Mb the problem starts. Its also not confined to Soundcloud as its happen with all and any other uploads I've tried elswhere.

Im now resorting to swapping routers when I know I need to upload anything anywhere.

I've tried comparing tghe settings on each router and as far as I can see they both seem the same but Im open to the idea that I may have missed something, I just dont know what?

Has any one heard of this? Or have any idea what I can do?

Patrick
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer VR900 V2 Disconnects when uploading large files
2018-04-18 10:50:23
How about the firmware? is it the newest one?
Options
2018-04-22 07:04:50
Got same router here , no problems uploading huge files over 100 MB, but I'm on fibre , 80 down and 20 up.

Sounds more like a 1MB up issue ?

You say FTTC ( VDSL ) but then say ADSL ? its one or the other ?

Does it try to send file and then time out cos its taking too long , give us some more info ?

Are you getting many errors on line , as the sky router may be able to deal with these and the VR is getting upset ?
Options
2018-05-06 22:22:51

Dink wrote

Got same router here , no problems uploading huge files over 100 MB, but I'm on fibre , 80 down and 20 up.

Sounds more like a 1MB up issue ?

You say FTTC ( VDSL ) but then say ADSL ? its one or the other ?

Does it try to send file and then time out cos its taking too long , give us some more info ?

Are you getting many errors on line , as the sky router may be able to deal with these and the VR is getting upset ?

There is only one version of the firmware available.

Also I dont know how to troubleshoot whats happening. I know its not a 1mb upload issue as uploading work fine on the Sky supplied Sky Router.

When uploading to soundcloud the upload gets to around 40% (going by the progress bar) and then stalls, its then when I realise that the rest of the devices in the house hold also cant connect to the internet, a check of the status on the Archer admin page shows the internet disconnected and it wont reconnect until the router is restarted.
Options
2018-05-09 17:19:04
Same opinion with Dlink that it sounds like a 1MB issue.
How about set Bandwidth control/Qos to restrict the upload speed?
Options
2019-10-28 21:10:40

@pantsDown 

just brought the same modem/router and I have the same problem. Downloading is fine upload kills the connection. Did you fix your problem? If so what was your solution. 

Options
2020-10-25 16:42:15 - last edited 2020-10-25 16:46:29

@pantsDown same model and exact same issue. Modem will freeze when uploading any significant amount of data (50Mb download / 4 Mb upload) - very annoying and very surprising. I consider changing device all together because of that issue.

Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0069.0 Build 170303 Rel.59897n

Hardware Version: Archer VR900 v3 00000000

Options
2020-10-27 06:33:21

A possible fix could be

Click on to Advanced Tab - QoS

Tick Enable 

Select Line Type (for me it was DSL) 

And adjust your upload and download bandwidth. you will need to play with this a find your sweet spot. I've set mine to 1000 Kbps up and 1000 Mbps down.

Click Save

Options
2021-01-30 03:56:22

@JohnnyTooGood I have an Archer C60 V 3.0 (Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20201231 rel.39772(5553) and I had the same issue.

As you recommended, I set the QoS upload bandwidth (and the download bandwidth too) matching with the values of my Internet provider plan and that fix the issue.

I didn't experience the same issue anymore.

Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2029

Replies: 8