Cant connect to WiFi "Authentication failed, incorrect username or password"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-05-26 17:13:53 - last edited 2020-08-30 02:00:00
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi I am struggling to connect to my WiFi. It worked wonderfully for hours and then suddenly stopped when I tried to change the host name and password with the "quick setup." Whenever I do the quick setup now it just says "0.0.0.0(PPPoE) Authentication failed, incorrect username or password." I tried rebooting and reseting but it still does not work.Please help
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cant connect to WiFi "Authentication failed, incorrect username or password"-Solution
2020-08-30 01:59:42 - last edited 2020-08-30 02:00:00

@Totosi 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For your case, you could refer to the following information:

1. If the error message came out when you run the quick set up, it would talk about the PPPoE username and password, which is given by the internet service provider;
  2. You could contact the ISP to get a new pair of username and password;

--While if it occurred when you are trying to connect the default Wi-Fi network, such as TP-Link_xxx_2.4Ghz/5Ghz, it talks about the Wi-Fi password and the default password is the 8 numbers on the back label;

---And if it is asking for the login username and password, which is admin/admin by default;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
19 Reply
Re:Cant connect to WiFi "Authentication failed, incorrect username or password"
2018-05-30 10:22:15
Authentication failed, it means you put wrong username or password provided by your ISP.
Double confirm the info or pay attention to the case sensitive.
Options
2020-04-04 17:13:47

@peterc12 Hi I am struggling to connect my wifi..The problem is it shows so many times per day that authentication failed, incorrect username or password       

Options
2020-04-27 14:30:51
Options
2020-06-24 09:06:42

@peterc12  is it resolved? I am facing similar issue

Options
2020-08-26 08:57:16

@peterc12 hi, i faced the same issue. did you found any solution?

Options
2020-08-26 13:24:57

@Totosi  it was issue with Mac address not correctly updated at the ISP provider end. Suppose if you had one router whose Mac address was registered when it was setup now you decided to bought new high speed router but when you try to update the password it gives this error because ISP server is Registered still with old router Mac address. Contact ISP provider and have the Mac address updated.

Options
2020-08-26 13:31:28

@Ravindra21 thanks for your reply, i'll check with them..

Options
2020-08-26 14:38:59

@Ravindra21 Ravindra, i just checked my ISP and working method is different, no MAC update needed here. do you have any other idea? when the router phisically switched off then working some hours then same issue comes up...restart not enough. No traffic, no logon possible.

Options
Re:Cant connect to WiFi "Authentication failed, incorrect username or password"-Solution
2020-08-30 01:59:42 - last edited 2020-08-30 02:00:00

@Totosi 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For your case, you could refer to the following information:

1. If the error message came out when you run the quick set up, it would talk about the PPPoE username and password, which is given by the internet service provider;
  2. You could contact the ISP to get a new pair of username and password;

--While if it occurred when you are trying to connect the default Wi-Fi network, such as TP-Link_xxx_2.4Ghz/5Ghz, it talks about the Wi-Fi password and the default password is the 8 numbers on the back label;

---And if it is asking for the login username and password, which is admin/admin by default;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-08-30 06:39:25

@Sunshine hi Sunhine, thanks for your reply. the router is well configured and started to use. the issue occurs when i tried to connect the created wi-fi network locally and not related to my ISP. it's working some time correctly then i got the error message i mentioned. normal restart didn't solve it only if i physically turn off and on it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 25

Views: 18034

Replies: 19