TP-W8980, Dynamic DNS settings for LAN Linux web server.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-06-02 13:03:00
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello.

I had the misfortune of my TD-W8960 die last night. The power supply loaded tested OK up to 1.2 amps. I have replaced dead unit with the standby TD-W8980 and have got most of the settings sorted out. However I am having trouble with the TD-W8980 settings for the LAN Linux web server. The web server was previously all working as of yesterday before the TD-W8960 failed. I have checked the Linux server and everything there is working fine. The account with NO-IP is still active and updates with the new IP address with each reboot of the the router.

The Linux web server is 192.168.1.20, using nginx and running a firewall. Below are some of the settings that I have changed. Is there something that is in conflict or are there some other that need setting for everything to retuirn back to how it was yesterday before the router failure?

On the screen "DHCP Server > DHCP Settings", DHCP Server: Enabled
On the screen "DHCP Server > DHCP Settings", Start IP Address: 192.168.1.10
On the screen "DHCP Server > DHCP Settings", End IP Address: 192.168.1.20
On the screen "DHCP Server > Address Reservaction", One entry with the Linux web machine's MAC and IP address of 192.168.1.20, with status enabled.
On the screen "Forwarding > DMZ", DMZ Status: Enabled
On the screen "Forwarding > DMZ", DMZ Host IP Address: 192.168.1.20
On the screen "Dynamic DNS", under DDNS Settings > Connection Status it is showing Success.

Router Hardware / Firmware.
Firmware Version: 0.6.0 1.8 v000e.0 Build 150514 Rel.40138n
Hardware Version:TD-W8980 v1 00000000

Kind regards.
Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-W8980, Dynamic DNS settings for LAN Linux web server.
2018-06-13 21:42:42
OK so there has been some developments. TP-Link help have contacted me and have helped finish setting up the Dynamic DNS. There was an issue with the setting for the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses. Now one of the websites hosted on my server is visible.

The problem now is that the TD-W8980 only allows the single hostname in the DDNS setting page. The old TD-W8960 would allow many. That way any traffic to the hosted websites on the local server would get directed to the correct web site by the settings in script for nginx. In a nut shell the following would happen.

HTTP Request Site 1 --> NO-IP, Site 1 goto 106.66.238.201 \
HTTP Request Site 2 --> NO-IP, [FONT=courier new]Site 2
goto 106.66.238.201 \
etc...
HTTP Request Site x --> NO-IP, Site x goto 106.66.238.201 \
.....................................................106.66.238.201 --> nginx, which site do you want?
.............................................................................\_ 106.66.238.201:Site 1
[/FONT] .............................................................................\_ [FONT=courier new]106.66.238.201:Site 2
.............................................................................\_ [FONT=courier new]106.66.238.201:etc ...
.............................................................................\_ [FONT=courier new]106.66.238.201:Site x
{Sorry about the full stops, the repeated 'space bar' characters get removed for some reason.}

Of course the person requesting Site 2 would only see Site 2 in their browser address bar, and would not know of the other sites. This all worked well with the TD-W8960, but so far I have not been able to get this to work for the new TD-W8980 since it only allows for the one hostname, which means only Site 1 in the above example is now visible to the web.

Does anyone know how to get additional entries for the Dynamic DNS?

Kind regards.

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
Options
Progress update
2018-06-16 09:55:46
Long story short, the TP-W8960 was different in that it supported multiple DDNS entries. TP-Link has since relied on users that wish to have a set up similar to what I am wanting to is use some form of dynamic update client.

Fortunately, NO-IP.com have such a client program for Linux ( and other operating system platforms) so I am investigating using that over the near future. In the near future I will post back how I got on with achieving my requirements.

Kind regards.

Link to the Dynamic DNS Update Client for Linux file at NO-IP.com is ... https://www.noip.com/download?page=linux
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 896

Replies: 2