Archer VR400 media server limitations

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-06-12 01:03:43
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi, I'm using my Archer VR400 as a media server with a USB HD. My HD has something like 12,300 items taking up 71 GB of space consisting of photos, videos and and music, all in their own folders.
After the media server has finished updating the file.db file I access the HD via my TV and there is always folders missing, including all of the video folder.
I wasn't aware there was a file limitation with the Archer 400 (unlike older models) but It's looking like there might be.

Any help would be appreciated.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer VR400 media server limitations
2018-06-12 07:30:05
There probably is a limitation Pete, like car USB players they can only index so many files before it becomes a case of indexing takes longer than the length of the film you want to watch, all I can suggest is to use a folder structure if you haven't already and limit the amount of files in each folder so to hope that the USB can read say 1000 folders with 100 files in each a lot easier than one folder with 100000 files in it, I know my car is limited to something like 1000 files and if I add more files they won't appear at all on mission control in the dashboard.
Options
2018-06-12 16:16:03

Hannibal Lackluster wrote

There probably is a limitation Pete, like car USB players they can only index so many files before it becomes a case of indexing takes longer than the length of the film you want to watch, all I can suggest is to use a folder structure if you haven't already and limit the amount of files in each folder so to hope that the USB can read say 1000 folders with 100 files in each a lot easier than one folder with 100000 files in it, I know my car is limited to something like 1000 files and if I add more files they won't appear at all on mission control in the dashboard.

That's how I have it organised for the same reason, my car has the same problem. Thing is, I'm fairly sure that the very first time I plugged the USB HD in, everything on it appeared on the TV.
Options
2018-06-13 14:57:55
UPDATE I've had an email reply from TP-Link which confirms that there is a file limit !! -

"Thank you very much for requesting information about our product.

There is a limit on VR400 on Media Server sharing files. It can support at most 20,000 files, including the folders.
Please try the steps below to help confirm what's the root cause.
1. Please make sure the files are within the limit.
2. Media Server can only help share media files, like photos, videos and audios. Please check your file as well.
3. For the missing folder, please share them separately and confirm if you can view it under such situation.
Or you can also try put all of the files in one folder and check if you can view it successfully."

I think I'll use Plex then, much better interface on the TV anyway and no limitation !

Thanks TP-Link for not including this info in your specs !
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 988

Replies: 3