Archer VR900 works with 1TB but not 2TB USB hard drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-06 19:18:24
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have the Archer vr900 wifi router.

It works perfectly as a NAS with a 1TB hard drive (Buffalo) connected by USB port on USB 2.0. This was stable for many months.

I then bought a 2TB drive (WD), but this time its a USB 3.0 device and it would work for like 3 mins but then break the wifi connection and confuse the router so it cant even connect to internet anymore.

I thought the cause must be the USB 3.0 noise, so I connected it by USB 2.0 cable instead but the problem remained.

Next, I physically swapped the HDDs in the two devices (so that the new usb3.0 WD device contains the 1TB drive from the old Buffalo device).

To my surprise, the problem remains when the old Buffalo usb2.0 device (which worked fine with the 1TB drive inside) now has 2TB drive inside.

From this, you can see that the router is having trouble not with usb2.0/3.0 and not with the drive device, but with the actual size of the HDD. When the HDD is 2TB, it cant handle it. But I thought this router should allow a HDD up to 4TB, so I am confused.

Can anyone please advise if I can fix this problem as I would really like to use the 2TB drive.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer VR900 works with 1TB but not 2TB USB hard drive
2018-09-22 02:01:21
You don't say which v1 or v2 but since I have had both and attached a 3TB Desktop HDD, I can tell you it worked for me. Ring TP Tec Help!
Options