chain Archer C7 between computer and TD-W8960N adsl modem help required

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-27 23:44:14
Model : TD-W8960N

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My TD-W8960N adsl modem/router lacks the bandwidth to support 4 tv tuners streaming HD. I solved that by purchasing an Archer C7, but as it lacks an adsl modem, I must still connect to my ISP through the TD-W8960N. After some stumbling around, I managed to get things 'working' by setting the TD-W8960N to simply pass (bridge) the ISP stream onward to the Archer C7 via its WAN connection and let it handle everything, with the TD-W8960N not doing any NAT, DHCP, Firewall, etc. This seems to have been too successful, as I cannot connect through the Archer C7 to the TD-W8960N's web GUI in order to see any of the modem statistics. I have created fixed (MAC related) IP addresses for everything, and set static routes for each router pointing to the other's subnet, but there is no connection. What am I missing?

I am aware that I can send everything that the TD-W8960N 'receives' to a DMZ hosted by the Archer C7, and that does allow me to connect though the Archer C7 to the TD-W8960N's web GUI, but then I am into the world of double NATs and Firewalls. The TD-W8960N permits me to edit off IGMP, but not the NAT nor the Firewall. Is there some way to achieve this?

Finally, as I manually 'fix' all IP addresses, I would like to turn off DHCP, but this is the 'kiss of death' for either router, as they then no longer respond to the computer. (The only choice is then a "factory reset".) Is there some unlisted IP address I am failing to hard-code?

I would appreciate any ideas from those experienced in these matters.
Options
1 Reply
Re:chain Archer C7 between computer and TD-W8960N adsl modem help required
2018-07-29 20:11:24
After more stumbling around, I investigated PPP IP Extension (ignoring warnings not to use it unless requested by my ISP). If I am correct (unlikely), where setting the TD-W8960N into "bridge" mode means that it makes the (ATM?) connection only to the local telephone network, and EVERYTHING ELSE from that connection is directed around the NAT and Firewall so that the Archer C7 handles ISP login, NAT and Firewall. This apparently works both ways, with EVERYTHING from the Archer C7 WAN sent to the TD-W8960N being forwarded to my ISP (hopefully with my attempts to reach the TD-W8960N web GUI simply dropped).

In contrast, PPP IP Extension (which is sometimes called "half-bridge") seems to work slightly differently. First, the ISP login is handled (along with the telco connection) by the TD-W8960N, but the Firewall and NAT are still bypassed, and the Archer C7 "sees" a "direct" (completed) WAN connection to the ISP rather than a PPPoE WAN connection requiring a login to the ISP. Second, traffic from the Archer C7 WAN is "seen" by the TD-W8960N and I can connect to its web GUI so that I can now read the modem stats.

Still have no idea as to how to turn off DHCP without losing computer connection, but as I hard-code all addresses, this is more an academic annoyance.

One last question - how do I mark this thread as "solved"?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 529

Replies: 1