Parental controls seem to prevent Windows Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-08 08:31:53
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a Deco M5 with latest firmware (1.2.3 - build 20180819). With parental controls on, and set to Child, My Windows 10 PCs are not able to Update. They are also unable to download from the Windows Store (though they can view, access and log-in to the store)

Nothing is shown in the deco reporting as having been blocked or filtered, it just doesn't work. Changing 'belongs to' to an unrestricted profile resolves the update issue - but then, obviously, the filtering is off, and that's the main value of the Deco for me.

It would be nice to have a 'allowed apps/websites' section in the config to override the filter (currently you can add extra blocks.) as that would provide a way to work around this kind of issue.
Options
6 Reply
Re:Parental controls seem to prevent Windows Update
2018-09-08 09:38:55
Options
2018-09-10 09:48:33
Thanks! That's really helpful. Sorry I didn't find it on my initial search of the forum.

It looks like that may have been the cause of some of my Apple update issues too - but needs some further testing.... At least removing pay-to-surf from the filter is more targeted than turning filtering off altogether. Though it still feels like a bug.
Options
2018-09-13 09:44:48
I absolutely agree, this is a bug.I reported it to TP-Link support but they didn't seem to understand me and I didn't have the energy to follow up and try harder to explain the problem. :-(
Options
2021-11-15 06:12:31

@ajharvey This is still happening 3 years later.

Garbage.

Creating a new ticket.

Options
2021-11-15 08:13:09

@Cessmation23 

Hi, there are different kinds of windows update, like the system update from windows 7/8.1 to windows 10/11 which is a paid service.

While as for the others, like windows software update under Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update, most of them are free to update.

But currently, the Parental control>pay to surf does not clearly separate one from the other.

So May I know which kind of windows service do you want to update?

As a workaround, It is suggested to remove the pay-to-surf category temporarily and finish the update, then add this category back.

It would be highly appreciated for you to help us check for further details so that we could have the chance to optimize the database of parental control.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-15 13:53:40

@TP-Link Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update which is a critical component to operating system stability and security is what Im referring to.

This should be immediately UNBLOCKED and updated for customers.

Huge waste of troubleshooting time only to find out that one "full version paid upgrade" is within the "pay to surf" category and therefor blocking ALL extremely critical security updates.

Once again this block should be removed from all category filters immediately as it does far more harm than good.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1617

Replies: 6