Can't access locally hosted website through LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-10-21 22:30:43
Model : TD-W8960N

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 1.0.9 Build 160614 Rel.41323

ISP :

Hi all,

As suggested in the title of the post, I'm struggling to access a locally hosted website while on the LAN it's hosted on. Specifically, I'm hosting a small weather website on a Raspberry Pi 3, but I can't access it (using it's URL that is, I'm using no-ip) while connected to the same network. I can, however, access it by using it's IP address (which is statically configured, obviously).

If I try to access it from outside the network using it's URL, it works great. But using a different means to access it depending if you're on the network or not, is a very inelegant solution. I would very much like to access the website using the URL whether I'm on the local network, or not.

I've spent about a day researching this, but I can't get to the bottom of it, and honestly, half the time I don't even know what the explanations mean. I do read a lot that a "hairpin NAT" is the way to go. But I've no idea how to set it up. Or even if the W8960N supports it.

FWIW, this wasn't a problem on my own router at home, which is a TP-Link TD-W8951ND. On my home network, I just nat-ed the port, set up a DDNS, and Bob's your uncle. So I was surprised at this problem, as both are TP-Link routers and even looks the same. However, they seem to be very different. The interfaces are entirely different.

Any help or advice is appreciated. If you assume I know something already, you're probably wrong.

Many thanks!
Options
1 Reply
Re:Can't access locally hosted website through LAN
2018-12-20 15:57:03

did you resolve? I've got a Deco and have the same issue... very annoying given that every router i've owned can handle hairpin nat :( 

Options