Cannot connect modem to router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2012-11-08 01:54:44
Region : Canada

Model : TD-8616

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.2

ISP :

I tried to connect my modem TD-8616 to my newly installed router WR841ND, but they will not recognize each other. (LAN light does not come on)
I have used the factory supplied Ethernet cable and a few other cables to no avail.
IP# of router: 192.168.0.1
IP# of modem: 192.168.0.2
DHCP is on, starting at 0.3
Set to PPPoE as recommended by the ISP provider. Changing the setting to Dynamic IP does not improve things.
All PCs connected to the router are recognized.
When PC is connected directly to the modem, Internet works well.

When I put a switch between the router and the modem, there is connectivity, although very poorly. The LAN light on the modem keeps blinking and dropping for a few seconds at the time.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Options
7 Reply
Re:Cannot connect modem to router
2012-11-08 11:21:29
Why will you locate a switch between the modem and the router ?:confused:

If I were you, I would set a network like this: ISP ——Modem——Router——Switch——PC.

In your case, when you connect your PC to the modem directly, I think you are dialing-up to connect to the internet, right ?

Then, you can connect your modem to the blue port of the router, and computer to the yellow port of the router, and login http://192.168.0.1 (the default username and password to login is admin), then set the
wan connection type as PPPOE, and put in the username and password provided by your ISP (who is your ISP ???), Save and Reboot.

This should work. If not, you had better contact your ISP to check the USERNAME & the PASSWORD are correct or not.
Options
Same problem.
2013-06-24 08:51:58
I'm having the exact same issue.

Does anyone know if the above solution works? I don't understand how putting the cable from the modem into the blue (ethernet) slot and then from the yellow (internet) slot into the computer would work. Isn't that backwards?

I've set up my router right (modem into yellow slot on router, blue slot into computer) and it won't work unless I have the ethernet hub between the two.

Any help would be mighty appreciated.
Options
2013-07-02 13:36:31

CrankyCrab wrote

I'm having the exact same issue.

Does anyone know if the above solution works? I don't understand how putting the cable from the modem into the blue (ethernet) slot and then from the yellow (internet) slot into the computer would work. Isn't that backwards?

I've set up my router right (modem into yellow slot on router, blue slot into computer) and it won't work unless I have the ethernet hub between the two.

Any help would be mighty appreciated.

Hi.
The modem should be connected to the WAN port of the router, and computer needs to be connected to the LAN port of the router by another cable.
Maybe the following picture will make it clear to you.
File:
router.jpgDownload
Options
2013-07-03 10:08:02
Thank you for taking the time to post, but unfortunately, that doesn't help.

I know how to hook it all up properly, I've used routers and modems before and am a wireless and electronics person at my place of employment.

The issue I'm having is that hooking those up properly doesn't help. No router (I've tried 3 different brands) will connect with the modem directly, for some reason I don't know.

I've also submitted a help ticket through the tp-link main site and am still not getting any help...
Options
2013-07-05 16:23:00

CrankyCrab wrote

Thank you for taking the time to post, but unfortunately, that doesn't help.

I know how to hook it all up properly, I've used routers and modems before and am a wireless and electronics person at my place of employment.

The issue I'm having is that hooking those up properly doesn't help. No router (I've tried 3 different brands) will connect with the modem directly, for some reason I don't know.

I've also submitted a help ticket through the tp-link main site and am still not getting any help...

Hi, see you in this link: http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?25840-Modem-won-t-work-with-my-router-unless-there-is-an-ethernet-hub-between&region=china
Options
2013-08-26 07:09:13
was this resolved? i'm having a heck of a time getting the 8616 to work with the wr700n.
Options
Nice post
2013-09-14 14:09:32
Prompt reply, attribute of ingenuity ;)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1293

Replies: 7

Related Articles