Deco M5 - AP Mode with Ethernet Backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-11-28 03:32:12 - last edited 2021-02-13 08:23:29

My environment using ASCII art

|-------------> DECO M5 (UNIT 3)
                                                                   |

WWW ---> MODEM ---> ROUTER ---> SWITCH -------> DECO M5 (UNIT 1) (MAIN DECO)

|

|------------> DECO M5 (UNIT 2)

(a) MODEM is supplied by ISP

(b) ROUTER is supplied by ISP (Non-TP-Link)

(c) ROUTER has DHCP enabled among other features 
(d) All connections via Ethernet/UTP cables

(e) DECO M5 (Unit 1) is the main deco and this has been set to AP mode

(f) DECO M5 (Unit 1), DECO M5 (Unit 2) & DECO M5 (Unit 3) are all able to "grab" a DHCP IP address from the Router

(g) Speedtest on the DECO App shows that I am connected to the internet

(h) Users are able to connect to the SSID created on the DECO and are able to surf the internet
(i) All DECOs are running up-to-date firmware

Question 1 = Is this topology supported?

Question 2 = How does one know when DECO M5 (Unit 1), DECO M5 (Unit 2) & DECO M5 (Unit 3) are actually using the ethernet backhaul?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 - AP Mode with Ethernet Backhaul-Solution
2021-02-12 17:46:44 - last edited 2021-02-13 08:23:29

Hey folks,

Just writing to confirm that my Deco M5 system (3 units) is working as noted in @thankgod 's initial post.  The non-main units both show "Signal Source: Ethernet" in the Deco app (Android).  My only hurdle was an ancient D-Link switch that doesn't speak IEEE 1905.1.  That was preventing the Ethernet backhaul from working.  I replaced it with a TP-Link TL-SG108E and everything is working well now.

Thanks to all to provided feedback on this thread!

-Paul

Recommended Solution
Options
16 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - AP Mode with Ethernet Backhaul
2018-11-28 11:26:28

For both questions, in AP MODE, the anwser is YES, Deco has support for this topology. In router mode you get red lights on Deco 2 and 3.

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 - AP Mode with Ethernet Backhaul
2018-11-28 14:15:03
Thank you. But is there a means of verifying that the DECO's are using the ethernet as the backhaul?
Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 - AP Mode with Ethernet Backhaul
2018-11-28 15:19:03 - last edited 2018-11-28 16:38:04

Configure all decos before via wifi, afte this and network ready proceed this step:

1. Turn on 1st Deco, wait green light.

2. Wire and turn on Deco 2, if green light apear, Backhaul working.

3. Do same action on Deco 3.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 - AP Mode with Ethernet Backhaul
2018-11-29 01:14:17
Thank you!
Options
2018-11-30 07:59:07

Now this gets interesting

I sent in a support ticket before posting here on the forums and the official TP-Link response is as follows:

*Note: I provided them with the same layout etc.

===========================================

Thank you very much for your valued reply.

If you need to get a mesh network and running Ethernet backhaul, you can configure deco as router mode or AP mode. So your current topology is not correct mesh network, so even you connect them to each other , they don't run Ethernet backhaul. If you need to set the deco as AP mode, you should connect like modem---router---deco1-deco2-deco3, or modem--router--deco1-switch--deco2(deco3). any way, you should make sure one of the deco is connected to your router directly.

In the following FAQ, the deco is working as router mode:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1794.html

In the following FAQ, deco is working as AP mode:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1842.html

Thank you!

Have a nice day!

===========================================

This seems to suggest that my method of connecting up the DECOs DO NOT adhere to their definition of a mesh AP network using Ethernet Backhaul. 

They reference https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1842.html in which the layout for the AP mode with Ethernet Backhaul shows that DECO M5 (UNIT 2) and DECO M5 (UNIT 3) needs to connect to the 2nd ethernet port of DECO M5 (UNIT 1)

The following is mine, which they claim is incorrect.

FIGURE-1

|

WWW ---> MODEM ---> ROUTER ---> SWITCH ----------> DECO M5 (UNIT 1) (MAIN DECO)
                                                                 |

They need me to admend to the following

FIGURE-2

WWW ---> MODEM ---> ROUTER ---> SWITCH -----> DECO M5 (UNIT 1) (MAIN DECO) ----> DECO M5 (UNIT 2) ----> DECO M5 (UNIT 3)

But who has existing network cabling done like this? 

:confused:

I wonder if I were to complex the setup and run it like this, what will be the effect?

FIGURE-3

|

WWW ---> MODEM ---> ROUTER ---> SWITCH ----------> DECO M5 (UNIT 1) (MAIN DECO) <------|
                                                                 |     |                                                                                    |
                                                                 |     |-------------------------------------------------------------------|
                                                                 |

Any ideas?

Options
2018-12-02 23:12:30

Tested this over the weekend.

(a) Setup as per Figure-3 

DECO M5 (UNIT 1) (MAIN DECO) went crazy, from the switch, lights were blinking non-stop. Think it created a loop of sorts. DECO's light also turned RED. No internet access. Disconnected it.

(b) Setup as per Figure-1

1. Connected wirelessly to DECO M5 (UNIT 2)

2. Ran a speedtest against the local ISP server. Got about 670Mbps. My subscription is for 1000Mbps. 

3. Disconnected the Ethernet cable on DECO M5 (UNIT 2)

4. While still connected to DECO M5 (UNIT 2), ran the speedtest again

5. No internet access

6. DECO M5 (UNIT 2) light turned RED

(c) My Personal Conclusion 

- The setup in Figure-1 works as per what LEOGZ mentioned

- Not sure why TP-Link Support is insistent that it does not

- Out of the box, my setup summarized as follows:

1. Power up DECO M5 (UNIT 1)

2. Setup DECO M5 (UNIT 1) as per the TP-Link App (Setup wireless SSID, password, etc.)

3. This puts DECO M5 (UNIT 1) into ROUTER mode

4. Add in DECO M5 (UNIT 2) to the setup

5. Add in DECO M5 (UNIT 3) to the setup

6. Test Internet accessibility

7. Update all the firmware

8. Change DECO M5 (UNIT 1) mode to AP 

9. Power off DECO M5 (UNIT 1), DECO M5 (UNIT 2), DECO M5 (UNIT 3)

10. Move DECO M5 (UNIT 1), DECO M5 (UNIT 2), DECO M5 (UNIT 3) into position, plugging in their respective ethernet cables as per Figure-1

11. Power up DECO M5 (UNIT 1)

12. Power up DECO M5 (UNIT 2)

13. Power up DECO M5 (UNIT 3)

14. Test and enjoy internet connectivity

- That's my setup for TP-Link Deco M5 in AP-Mode using Ethernet Backhaul.

Options
2020-02-13 23:43:09 - last edited 2020-02-13 23:46:49

@thankgod 

Is your setup still working?

Last week i installed this system (m5) as follows:

m1 (main Deco) directly on the modem (main level). M2 and M3 (upstairs, first and second Floor) via ethernet backholes, which are directly connected to the modem. Setup of M1 in accesmode. 

Worked perfect.

All of sudden, my ethernet connection in m2 and m3 collapses today,  and m2 and m3 are using the WiFi signal of M1 which results in poor internet.    

Furthermore i found out that m1 was back in routermode again. Now i can install it all over again, but if this will occur every week i need to find a solution. 

can anyone give me an advice on this matter?

Options
2020-02-14 01:45:36

@Romesh 

Hello, what is the model number of the modem? Is it a pure modem or a modem router combo?

Do the slave Decos connect to the modem by ethernet cable directly, or they connect to the ethernet port upstairs which connects to the modem?

Theoretically, the operation mode won't be changed automatically. And how do you know that the upstairs Deco connect to the M1 by wireless, rather than ethernet cable? Could you please show us a screenshot of it?

Good day.

Options
2020-03-21 06:18:02

@thankgod just a clarification.

In the topology of Figure 1, there is only one wireless network (SSID name) for the whole house right?

I'm just trying to figure out how to make my topology for optimizing wifi with ethernet backhaul.

Thanks 

Options
2020-03-28 12:20:45

@thankgod I was surprised by the reply of Customer Service at the time.

AP Mode with switched Ethernet backhaul between master and slave DECOs is supported;

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2399/

How are things working for you these days?  Is the wifi client handoff working well between APs?

Cheers,

James.

Options