Use the switch ports or the router ports?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-30 00:05:41 - last edited 2018-12-30 00:07:13

Hello, I have a tplink DSL router acting as my access to the internet. The router has 4 ports (TD-W8961N) and I have it mounted in a very high place. I have only one of its ports plugged in with a cable coming down to an 8 ports switch on my desk. I chose this configuration so I don't have to use a ladder everytime I need to plug or unplg something to the router. I just do that with the switch on my desk. I have a smart TV, a printer and 2 other access points and this computer connected to the switch.

My question: Is it Okay to connect all those devices to the switch and connect the switch to one port in the router (Which means all these devices + the devices connected to the 2 access points are all connected to one of the four ports on the router) OR should I plug some devices to the other 3 ports directly on the router which will make it so hard for me whenever I try to plug or unplug a device? 

Is this a battelneck as in all the devices work only with the capacity of one port or is it fine? 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Use the switch ports or the router ports?
2019-01-04 07:53:09
If the switch is just a plug and play switch, no special settings, there should be no problem.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 695

Replies: 1

Related Articles