New mini plugs won't connect to WiFi, WPA issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-11 15:39:34 - last edited 2019-01-11 15:48:28

I have had a couple of HS 103 smart mini plugs working flawlessly with Kasa and Alexa for several weeks.  I bought another pair and they will not connect to the network with the exact same settings as the previous ones that keep happily connected and running along.   Router is a Linksys 1900 ACM and encryption is set to "WPA2/WPA personal mixed" since I have some older devices that still require WPA.

As an experiment I switched the router to WPA2 personal only and the new minis linked right up and worked fine (but, of course, I lost some of my legacy devices).  I switched the router back to WPA2/WPA mixed and the new minis lost connection.  The original minis were unaffected by any of these changes.

Anyone know what's going on, and what might be a solution??

Edit:  I just looked at the labels and they are identical except the new set has a 12 amp current limit while the old set is 10 amp.  So they are clearly different hardware.

Options
1 Reply
Re:New mini plugs won't connect to WiFi, WPA issue
2019-01-11 17:03:48 - last edited 2019-01-11 17:19:08

On chat now with TP-Link. My new HS 103 are the P2 version and apparently there is some wifi compatibility issue with my router running in mixed mode. The KASA app says my firmware is up to date but the agent is checking with the techies to see if there is maybe something coming. This is very frustrating and unexpected. I'd send these back and get another set but the old stock is probably gone and they will all likely be the new version with the defective firmware.

Edit:  OMG, I can't believe this.  TP-Link tells me there is no way to fix this, no firmware update, nor is one expected to fix this.  What a crock.  I was really liking this stuff but may have to shift to another platform.

Bottom line... if you have a need to run mixed WPA2/WPA wifi encryption the newTP-Link smart plugs will not work for you.  I am cutting my losses now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1991

Replies: 1

Related Articles