Deco M9 Plus - YouTube TV Mirroring blocked?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-12 19:09:48

Hi all,

I'm a new Deco user and configured my Deco M9 kit to work in router mode, to take advantage of the cool antivirus and QoS features.

It's plugged into an Archer VR2600 which has been factory reset and has had it's Wireless radio turned off, thus ensuring that it will operate only as a modem of sorts and my Deco can handle all the routing.

Thus far things have been ok, however I notice that if I try to access Youtube or Vimeo using internet browsers, or the YouTube app on my iPhone it either doesn't load the webpage, or it does, but the thumbnails of videos are missing and if I scroll down the page, it takes a long time for the next colum of videos to load.

Bizarrely, Netflix seems to work perfectly, however I've noticed that I can't mirror to my TV anymore despite having all devices on the same network name. The YouTube app on my TV also freezes on the YouTube load screen.

Would this have anything to do with the built in antivirus system blocking these websites and my devices? Is there a way this can be whitelisted?

If I switch the Decos to AP mode, everything works fine; but I'd rather not lose the funcionality of the built in antivirus as it's already prevented a DDOS and FREAK attack!

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus - YouTube TV Mirroring blocked?
2019-01-14 07:36:10

Cannot set up whitelist.  Check log of Antivirus. Is there anything related to youtube?

May disable antivirus to see what happens. Contact tplink if problem not solved.

Options
2021-07-16 14:39:33

@Pinstripe , hi !

I have a similar network setup and the very same issue you have: youtube app or in browser do not work in my network using several different devices like Smart TV, PS4, Roku Express, iPhone, iPad, although youtube works on macOS devices... interesting enough, it worked fine until a few weeks ago and I can't recall any event that determined the issue to arise.

I already tried to disable the antivirus and even reset the whole configuration but still no success with youtube - all other streaming services (Netflix, Disney+, etc.) work fine.

As I was unsure if the problem is with Deco or my ISP, I replaced the main router by an Apple's Airport TimeCapsule - and youtube worked everywhere!  So, definetely, Decos are causing the issue !

My Decos firmware are 1.2.11 Build 20190926 Rel. 55727 and there is no new update.

I am very disappointed!

Did you have success finding a solution to your issue?

Options
2021-07-17 11:15:32

@Akhenaton Hi there,

I concluded that the source of my problem was I bought my Deco Mesh from a German supplier, and its Homecare antivirus was getting updates from a German/EU server. 
Because I live in the UK, all my Netflix/YouTube/Disney+ was being blocked because they're hosted on a UK server - i.e. they were being blacklisted on the German antivirus "safe list".

To test this; I set the Decos to AP mode and had them link up to a UK-supplied Archer C4000 router that comes with the same Homecare antivirus. I have had no issues with anything being blocked since using this setup, and I think this is because the UK antivirus is recognizing UK apps.

I could be completely wrong and it could be a huge coincidence, but it's been working fine ever since.

It's a bit annoying that it took an extra piece of equipment to get it all to work.  I bought my Decos from Germany because I live in an old tenement flat with thick walls. At the time of purchase, UK suppliers were only providing Decos that came in 2 packs. Based on TP Link's specifications, I realized a 2 pack wouldn't cut it in my building, I needed a 3 pack to ensure complete coverage. Buying a 3 pack from an international seller was cheaper than buying a 2 pack and a single pack here - but it wasn't without its pitfalls! :)

So I would recommend you try getting your hands on another TP-Link router with Homecare built-in and test that. If you stop having issues, you can set Deco to AP Mode and run everything through the other router. If you're still having issues - perhaps it's worth contacting your ISP.

Good luck!

Options
2021-07-19 09:48:30

@Akhenaton 

Hi, you could try to update the firmware to the latest one via the upgrade tool:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m9-plus/v2/#Utility

and the latest firmware

https://static.tp-link.com/2021/202102/20210219/Deco_M9_Plus_V2_1.5.1_210126.zip

Thank you.

Options
2021-07-19 17:21:16

@TP-Link Hi,

Doesn't M9plus automatically update itself?

I have another TP-LINK router that is bricked due to a firmware update...

Claudio.

Options
2021-07-19 17:54:07 - last edited 2021-07-19 17:55:02

@Akhenaton If you have the Deco app - you should be able to push the update onto it that way. 

If that doesn't work - then the above manual update links should. 

Options
2021-07-20 02:51:01

@Akhenaton 

Hi, Pinstripe is right and Deco is also supposed to push the new firmware notification via Deco APP;

I can see that the firmware has been updated to the latest 1.5.1, so did you still have the same issue?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1617

Replies: 7