Error "the port of auto connect cannot be a LPR / raw TCP / SMB port"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-14 20:12:09 - last edited 2021-03-10 06:15:23

Hi,

I am trying to connect my Samsung ML-1665 printer to my Archer 1200 router via the USB port. The printer is seen by the TP Link USB Printer controller software but comes up with the error "the port of auto connect cannot be a LPR / raw TCP / SMB port" when I try to set it to Auto connect for printing. How do I fix this.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Error "the port of auto connect cannot be a LPR / raw TCP / SMB port" -Solution
2020-12-29 17:28:08 - last edited 2021-03-10 06:15:23

@Canute60 

I just fixed this issue, and it occurred after a windows update. This is how I fixed it: pertains to windows 10 and USB printers (I use a canon ip4300) 

1. delete your printer from the "printers and scanners" option in control panel settings and be sure to delete as many 192.168.0.1 ports you have added while trying to set this up, if there are any.

2. Take your USB printer and directly hook it up to your computer. Windows 10 now automatically detects and adds the printer to your list with correct pathways. 

3. remove the TP Link USB printer controller using the same program you used to set it up. (This can be downloaded from the TP link website under download Center if you can't find it). run the setup program and choose remove. 

4. Run the USB printer controller setup again and set it back up. Plug your USB printer back into the router/Print server device (I use the Archer C7). 

5. make sure you are connected to your TP link network. Launch the USB print controller. You should see your router/print server and the name of your printer under it. 

6. select auto connect button, choose the + sign. Your printer should now be selectable. 

I had to do this 5 times I over before it worked again. Apparently the new windows update came with this feature where the software fully detects and sets up printers on its own. Doing it manually is just not the same anymore and doesn't work. Weird.

hope this helps anyone w similar issues! 

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Error "the port of auto connect cannot be a LPR / raw TCP / SMB port"
2019-01-15 05:47:45

Delete TCP/IP port under Printer Properties on your computer. Search online if you don't know how to do that.

Options
2019-01-16 10:34:22

Probably you can try to set up a connection directly to your router address. Have heard that sometimes it really works, but not sure, I am not an expert in this field.

Options
2019-05-09 14:50:45

Do these routers have the ability to change the internal IP?

Options
Re:Re:Error "the port of auto connect cannot be a LPR / raw TCP / SMB port"
2019-05-10 09:42:49

For Archer C1200, you can login to the web UI  to change the internal IP address. 

How to login: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1523/

May it help. 

Fucha93 wrote

Do these routers have the ability to change the internal IP?

Options
Re:Re:Error "the port of auto connect cannot be a LPR / raw TCP / SMB port"
2019-05-11 09:20:27

In addition, you can always install some kind of VPN extension for your browser, for example https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/proxy-vpn-to-unblock-any/ookhnhpkphagefgdiemllfajmkdkcaim. Perhaps this will be a more convenient option, depending on the purpose for which you need to change IP...

Options
2020-10-04 09:10:45

@Canute60 Nobody wants to answer this question - the ones here are mostly nonsense and nobody from TP-Link deigns to answer.  This is a legit question and deserves an answer - I hope the original poster was able to figure it out. I don't have any answers and my searching has turned up nothing that works. I think that TP-Link should give a little better explanation of "install print driver" instead of that vacuous statement.

Options
Re:Error "the port of auto connect cannot be a LPR / raw TCP / SMB port" -Solution
2020-12-29 17:28:08 - last edited 2021-03-10 06:15:23

@Canute60 

I just fixed this issue, and it occurred after a windows update. This is how I fixed it: pertains to windows 10 and USB printers (I use a canon ip4300) 

1. delete your printer from the "printers and scanners" option in control panel settings and be sure to delete as many 192.168.0.1 ports you have added while trying to set this up, if there are any.

2. Take your USB printer and directly hook it up to your computer. Windows 10 now automatically detects and adds the printer to your list with correct pathways. 

3. remove the TP Link USB printer controller using the same program you used to set it up. (This can be downloaded from the TP link website under download Center if you can't find it). run the setup program and choose remove. 

4. Run the USB printer controller setup again and set it back up. Plug your USB printer back into the router/Print server device (I use the Archer C7). 

5. make sure you are connected to your TP link network. Launch the USB print controller. You should see your router/print server and the name of your printer under it. 

6. select auto connect button, choose the + sign. Your printer should now be selectable. 

I had to do this 5 times I over before it worked again. Apparently the new windows update came with this feature where the software fully detects and sets up printers on its own. Doing it manually is just not the same anymore and doesn't work. Weird.

hope this helps anyone w similar issues! 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-10 04:25:48

@MJAdelais I created an account just to tell you thank you!  Youre the only one on the interwebs who got it right! God bless you and that thick juicy brain of yours!  Mad love!Mwahh!!

Options
2021-09-23 19:34:25 - last edited 2021-09-23 19:39:16

@MJAdelais After hours of trying to set it up manually when my USB ports mysteriously disappeared I finally searched and came across your solution. This worked perfectly the first time. THANK YOU for taking the time to post. Your assistance was much appreciated!!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5045

Replies: 9

Related Articles