Deco M5 - setting it up for a friend - transfer onwership

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-22 08:04:28

Hello there,

I`ve recommended the Deco M5 mesh system to a friend who had wifi coverage issues. I got the unit myself, and I`ve configured it, uptaded the firmware, configured the wifi as my friend usually does, and I`ve set up his wan settings. All of this to make sure this is effortless to him.

once I install the devices on his home, I understand I can add him as a `manager` to the mesh system... but the ideal would be that I`m able to `transfer ownership`, so he has full control over it.. and then I ask him to add me as a manager.

I`ve not found documentation on a way to `transfer ownership` of a deco system to another email/account.

any thoughts?

tks

Felipe

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - setting it up for a friend - transfer onwership
2019-01-22 09:32:30

Hi,

After open Deco App, click on the three lines icon on the left top corner->click on your TP-LINK ID->click on your E-mail, enter your TP-LINK ID password, then you can change the Email address. The Email address must be an address which not registered on the TP-LINK cloud server.

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 - setting it up for a friend - transfer onwership
2019-01-22 20:52:46

tks.

I will try this, when with my friend at his place, to be able to test it on the fly.

also, I just thought of this..

if it does not work, would `deleting/removing the deco from my account`, and then `setting up again on a new account`,  would probably work , right?

but maybe all the config needs to be redone...

Options
2019-01-24 10:50:05

Yes,  if you delete the deco on your account, and then readd it with the new account, it will bind to the new account, but need reconfigure the deco units

Options
2020-11-18 13:25:07

@Kevin_Z 

Just tried to do this, but the email address field isn't responding on any clicks in any place.

I'm having the situation that I sold my old house, and we agreed that I will leave the decos in place there, but would love to get the handed over just as they were without any extra hassle to the new owner. Is there a way, or am I doing something wrong?

Options
2020-12-09 09:46:59
Hi Kevin, We are almost a year further. Perhaps some things have changed. I setup clients devices. I recently used TP-Link for the first time. Since you can only use an app on a mobile phone to configure, I would need to use the phone of the client for a while to setup everything. This is privacy invasive and not my preferred method. So since this was my first TP Link, after having set-up my own, I just used my own phone/app to setup the system. When I was done I installed the app on the phone of the client. At this time I discovered that I had to login with my own account for him to have access to his Deco devices. Oeps. So: Have things improved? Can I now transfer the whole setup to another account and delete my own email address/account out of the equation? Or is the only way to add them a as a manager, but I have to stay connected with my account as well? Of course I can do what you describe. Redo the whole setup. This is not recommended since even when you create the same SSID (which is what the client wants), on Window devices it will call the network "SSID 2", which is confusing and sometimes leads to issues. If you haven't added the feature yet to transfer ownership, Please do, because for IT professionals it would be preferable to use a brand like Netgear, where you can also use web configurarion on a computer. Regards, Michiel
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4442

Replies: 5