Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

400 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2022-03-17 16:03:28

@internetmuggle never.  that is the best answer i can give. Buy a different product that cares about their customers. I'm an IT professional and emailed and tried to talk to them about this issue. They say that you have to keep them automated cause their costumers are not smart enough to keep all the nodes on the same channel to keep the mesh working. In light of that we have to keep them automatic so that they will stay on the same channel. SMH. 

Options
2022-03-21 11:32:26

i am so unhappy about the fact that tp link is unable to fix such a small but significant issue . i have 6 units of m9Plus which i am forced to change due to poor channel allocation . thanks TP link will not come your side any more.

Options
Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2022-03-31 11:51:52 - last edited 2022-03-31 12:09:18

@Kevin_Z 

You claim that the Deco system chooses a new channel automatically but this is utter rubbish.

It may choose one during the initial setup but it certainly does NOT change if the current channel becomes congested.

I have had my Deco 9 for a few years now and I can tell you, it had been on channel 48 (5g) since day one until I did what I mention below.

The explanation provided in a previous post about the Decos possibly not communicating with other Decos after a change of channel, and requiring a reset (if a manual change was available) is also rubbish and misinformation.

I say this because when you select the Network Optimisation function, if a channel is congested, the Deco app clearly displays in RED text, that the channel is congested!

Now if you choose to Optimise (yes, optimise is spelled with an S and not a Z), the Deco then chooses a better channel. All Decos (3 in my case) then reboot and operate on a new channel.

So this cannot be impossible nor as impractical as mentioned in your previous post.

If it can easily be changed via optimisation, then it can be done manually by the admin.

This option NEEDS to be made available to the end user. It is a VERY important feature that should have been incorporated from day one.

Please look at having this implemented ASAP.

Regards,

Dean

Options
2022-03-31 12:16:55

Chipower wrote

@internetmuggle never.  that is the best answer i can give. Buy a different product that cares about their customers. I'm an IT professional and emailed and tried to talk to them about this issue. They say that you have to keep them automated cause their costumers are not smart enough to keep all the nodes on the same channel to keep the mesh working. In light of that we have to keep them automatic so that they will stay on the same channel. SMH. 

@Chipower 

The funny thing is, users wouldn't have to manually keep all nodes on the same channels.  The functionality is already there to change the channels on each node at the same time.

If the app can change the channel on all connected nodes when using the Network Optimisation feature then why can't there be a simple drop down menu for 2.5g and 5g where a channel can be selected and it automatically changes them all just as it does through optimisation?

I just don't get tplinks reasoning here.

Options
2022-03-31 13:22:56

@Subliminal 

I tossed my Deco 9's a few weeks ago and it was the best thing I did for my home network!

After HOURS online late at night with TP Link support I was simply told there is not enough CPU or RAM in these units to run the latest firmware and that no additional features/functionality would be added. The focus is on the latest product set.

Admittedly, I used parental controls, which was the primary reason for my purchase. I had to enable QOS to get any decent connectivity to my priority devices, still it was garbage. I was told ALL network traffic goes through the TP Link cloud to control AV, QOS & parental controls. 

They tried to revert the firmware version, but it could not be done due to security fixes. 

The answer(s) were to move the devices to AP mode, disabling ALL features, OR purchase the latest generation. My warranty had expired by the time support actually followed though, a YEAR of begging for help! They would no longer RMA/replace these units as the 2yr warranty had expired, primarily due to their lack of support/follow up. They offered NO discount on newer models, only suggesting I wait until my retailer has them on sale!

I faced the channel issue like everyone on here. I agree the channel only changed on boot up, once selected it stayed on the same channel, which for me was always the most congested. I had to enable wifi on my ISP router, manually set the channel to the least congested, reboot or optimize TP Link which would then pickup my ISP channels. Then disable the ISP wifi. It worked, but such a poor work around.

Not to promote but I did switch to the Google model. First the coverage of 2 pucks is far better than the Deco's. Second I see full 1Gbps transfers on wired devices again. My bandwidth tests from all devices has more than doubled and is inline with what the ISP delivers. Latency, has reduced to 2ms, compared to the deco 10ms latency times. Google does not allow you to change the wifi channel either, BUT I can confirm it automatically changes on it's own to the least congested or available channels. The parental controls are solid, much better than the Deco's blocking content as one would expect. The Google app sucks, but how do I complain when the solution works and delivers much better performance? 

TP Link's support is horrific! I swear there is onyl one person... I suspect engineering is limited in resources as well. 

Don't hold your breath for a solution here... There will not be one from TP Link. Again, focus is on new products, not fixing older ones unless there is a security issue and the hardware is not capable of performing.

Options
2022-03-31 15:20:50

@TWPS 

Thanks for the informative response.

I actually love the M9 system. It works extremely well for me and I do not have any issues with them at all besides this channel issue. 

As mentioned,  ibhave had them for quite a few years and they are still going strong. I don't need to upgrade or change to a different system. 

I get great transfer speed from them and complete coverage of my house.

The channel issue is not a deal breaker for me however it is something that needs to be sorted  but as you have stated,  probably never will.

Personally I wouldn't touch the Google Mesh system. I have used them before and set up for friends and family and I found them to be utter junk prompting me to look for alternatives. This is where I came across the Deco system and have been using and recommending for years now.

Just a shame that TP link have gone down this path and left this system to rot.

Options
2022-03-31 15:33:06
Glad yours is rock solid @subliminal As I understand the latest systems from TP Link do not allow for you to manually change the wifi channel either. I just don't ever see this on the roadmap for them to address. I tried out a bunch of systems after my TP Link issue, for me/my home Google out performed everyone else with coverage and speed. I'm not a fan of the app, but I'll live with it considering how much performance has improved. I do think we need to question TP Link sending all data through their cloud to perform QoS, A/V and parental controls though. All I know is my data left my country and was inspected... Not acceptable.
Options
2022-04-01 09:53:36 - last edited 2022-04-01 09:54:28

@TWPS 

One of the main issues I have with the Nest Wifi system is that the points do not have ethernet ports.

This is must for my setup as I use the mesh points to distribute the wifi to switches/hubs connected via ethernet.

In my current setup I have 3 Decos. 1 connected to the main router/modem.

The other 2 are scattered around the house. 1 in computer area and other at the entertainment unit.

From each of these 2 units  I have ethernet switches/hubs that then connect to multiple devices. 

The reason for this is so I don't have all devices connected individually via wifi causing even more channel load. Plus it is much more reliable having devices hard-wired to a switch and mesh especially when there is NAS sever connected to same switch as my sheild for data transfer/network streaming.

The only way I see this working with the Nest wifi is to purchase 3 Nest routers and that will become quite costly.

Options
2022-04-01 11:48:11

@Subliminal 

I have the exact same configuration as you, wired devices in different rooms/floors with wired devices connected to each puck. 

I opted for the latest Google wifi system, I think it's the 2020 update. I did not go nest does not have ports, but the 2020 model does. 

Google wifi 2020 offers 2 ports per puck, just like the TPLink. It is also AC1200 like the TPLink. Wifi5, which I believe is newer tech over TPLink. The nest is AC2400 wifi 6 and is faster, but as you said does not have the wired ports.  

I don't have many wifi6 devices so I didn't care too much. Wifi5 and ac1200 deliver over 300Mbps to everyone of my wifi connected devices. With TPLink I was lucky if a wifi device got 150Mbps, most were 30-50Mbps. 

biggest upside as I mentioned latency is low and no data is being sent out to a third party company for review. 

Options
2022-04-01 12:49:35

@TWPS 

Hmm. I may have to revisit the Google system and see how it goes. 

I'm still running fine with the Deco M9 as mentioned and I copy files at around 50MBps (approx 400Mbps) a second from laptop to NAS over wifi so it's not bad. Not sure why your was so slow. 

Was your system the M5 or M9?

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles