Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

400 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
3 weeks ago

@NYQUISTS_ANGRY_ 

You just want to be right and the nuances you talk about also apply in the opposite direction. 

Do you know everyone's situation?

Further more, I made a different point about be able to make adjustments. You can adjust the settings on your TV, will that make it better? Maybe not in general, but when I have a certain preference, who is to decide that I cannot make color adjustments? 

Therefor all arguments about interference and what not, may be valid or not? it depends on the local situation.

Technically you and David might be right, but that doesn't mean, the desire is not existent.

You need to understand that theory and practice don't always align. 

And David and you certainly are in no position to judge that in every case, changing the channel is no solution. 

It is not a black and white world.

You assume, too much  "Again none of you have attempted to understand and research the situation"  quite a bold statement, don't you think?

I am confident, knowing my and my neighbors situation and nothing being around us, that a change of channel would certainly not be a decrease in performance.

But my neighbor can't make changes and neither can I, so we will never know.  (but hey I haven't looked into anything according to you, so I must have been imagining things) 

Furthermore if channel changes or part of the internal optimalization process, it should be possible with a bit of programming to allow that to be done manually as well. 

But I agree that many here are just venting, but show me a forum where that doesn't happen.

PS. You have a technical background and with that, you seem to have learned something that is often left out in teaching technical studies. You reason that the devices/software operate flawless. Let me tell you, that is often not the case and therefor a manual configuration is desirable.

But again, what do I know, I haven't looked into anything ;-) 

Options
3 weeks ago

@JW600F 

Look, I know what you mean. We suck sometimes at communication. But we do put theory into practice and iterate: that's the whole job. There are a multitude of reasons why adding this setting is simply not possible. I'm almost certain that they would automatically be required to go through certification again in each country due to a user controlled 5GHz channel being an issue in many areas.

In addition to this, there's a lot going on in terms of the software. While this isn't my field anymore, my current field has the concept of consensus algorithms. When major settings switch on one mode, it's a huge operation to rebalance the network. This would cause all kinds of strange behavior and increase the number of threads like these ten fold.

Stop comparing it to things like changing the channel on your tv. This isn't a router. Deco is a mesh network.

- NYQUISTS_ANGRY_GHOST

Options
3 weeks ago

@JW600F 

Also, I should add: if I assumed things worked flawlessly I'd be terrible at my job. Especially when it comes to security in distributed systems. We operate using the concept of "Zero Trust."  You kinda of have to assume there are zero days in possibly everything these days to properly secure your systems.

Options
3 weeks ago

@NYQUISTS_ANGRY_   you hit the nail on the head. This problem is years old and they have NEVER done anything about it. I'm a network guru and it would have been nice to be able to control the channels but tp link thought otherwise. I have left this thread open just to see if they would do something about it and obviously they are not. I moved on to better products.  

Options
3 weeks ago

@Chipower 

Nobody reads.

They can't do it. There's been a list of very sound reasons why, but everyone seems more in the mood to pick one phrase from a sentence and give an impassioned speech about nonsense.

You should have understood the technology before you bought into it. It's clear from these replies that none of you do.

Options
3 weeks ago

@NYQUISTS_ANGRY_ 

Well if its any consolation I won't be buying any more TP-LInk products in future, I should've stuck with/expanded my previous Ubiquity setup instead.  Only goes to show that the old addage of "buy cheap buy twice" really holds  I had good experiences with TP-Link in the past so its a shame their values have changed - pretty sure the technical limitations being cited are not real given other vendors firmwares allow the same level of flexibility and management we are asking for.  It would've been nice to have some more replies from them instead of trolls baiting for responses though!

Options
3 weeks ago

@Wintermute 

I'm not a troll, I'm an engineer. I've been trying to explain to you why it's difficult for them in addition to the numerous responses TP-Link have given. None of you read a single one, and repeat the same nonsense over and over again.

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@NYQUISTS_ANGRY_ 

If you were an engineer then maybe you could offer some assistance to tp link on how to fix this issue.

I have read every single post here and the answers provided by tp link at a total load of BS. They are cop out answers that just want to side step the issue at hand. 

Options
3 weeks ago
Options
3 weeks ago

It's one thing to read in the whole thread, it's another thing to experience all the problems with TP-Link devices. I've got three x60's for quite some time now. Used to blame a lot of the problems to the fact that I lived in a busy environment where channels would easily overlap each other. But now I moved to a villa the problems did not disappear even though the nearest next house is at least 30 meters away from mine. I have to reboot all my three devices fairly regularly, at least every two weeks. As if the memory is flooded in these machines. I have full connection but no data. My wifi actually says, connected without internet. I have to save up some money to buy a mesh system from another brand, although I don't know yet which will be better.

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles