Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?

Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?

139 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?
2020-02-28 12:06:32

@Kevin_Z 

Can you please provide an update an status on this problem. Are you guys working on this?

Options
Re:Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?
2020-02-28 17:49:37

It's still a problem with the latest release, although less than it was originally.

My Deco's are in bridge mode.

If I reboot my router the Deco takes over as the DHCP server but at least it maintains the same network.

The problem I have is once I get a DHCP lease on a computers it doesn't release it and that means it doesn't release the Deco as the default gateway.sadno

So for now rebooting the router turns into rebooting the router, and getting some exercise running around the house unplugging the 4 Decos and plugging them back in once the router is back online.

Again, I haven't bothered to put the Deco in Routed mode and see what would happen if I set the DHCP settings to as short as possible.

It would be convienent to be able to completely disable the DR functionality from bridge mode  <-- TP-Link please add this featureyesyesyesheartheartheartsmileysmileysmiley

Blessings,

Malchambar

Blessings, Martin
Options
2020-06-12 14:19:11

Exact same issue today, first day with a 3-set of Deco X60..

A pure nightmare with the Deco DHCP taking over the main DHCP (on the actual router).

It's totally crazy and irresponsible to do networking like that.

TPLINK >> Please disable completely the DHCP Server of Deco when in AP mode... There is no reason to have your stupid smart dhcp...

Options
2020-06-12 15:28:38

Hmm... It's strange, but I didn't have any DHCP problems with my 3 Decos M4 in AP mode and Mikrotik router with DHCP server running on it. And I have exactly the same configuration as described here: modem -- Mikrotik main router -- 2 M4 Decos, connected directly to router by eth, 1 M4 Deco, connected via TP-Link switch. Tv android box, connected via eth to one of the Deco. A lot of wifi clients. Mikrotik releases a new software version for their router approximately once a month (note, TP-Link), constantly adding something, changing, so I reboot the main router at least once a month. And any described problem with Decos. I have some other issues but not this one ))

Options
2020-06-13 13:42:40

@RedRoger 

I don't get this type of post, unless of course you post on ALL other threads telling people you don't have the specific problem they are posting. Do you, and if so, why?

Options
2020-06-13 14:12:53

@RedRoger 

Actually, there is a state when the Deco in AP and a main routeur with DHCP work fine together.

But if either of them goes offline then back up, the deco "smart dhcp" fires up and messes the whole network (2 DHCP servers on the same LAN).

Normally, the Deco being in AP mode shouldn't even try to fire a DHCP server.. That's the issue to solve.

Options
2020-06-13 17:44:14

@phillip_mcmahon simply wanted to say that this is not the problem of all Decos, or maybe ther's no such a problem for the most Decos at least my Decos M4 with the similar configuration and with the similar situation of switching off the main DHCP router, so it doesn't have such type of problem. That's it...

Options
2020-06-13 17:53:58

@RedRoger 

Gotcha yes

I think those that haven't experienced this in AP mode are lucky.

Bottom line, it is just a fundamentally broken design feature, un-documented and network destroying when it kicks in. Amazed any network engineer considered this to be a sensible idea and dumbfounded that @tplink still have done nothing about it. How hard is it to provide a way to fully disable this "feature"??

Apologies if I passed my frustration on.

Phill

Options
2020-07-02 02:25:02 - last edited 2020-07-02 02:25:46

@phillip_mcmahon 

@Kevin_Z 

Well, glad to see I am not the only one that has this problem. 

I ran into it today and it killed my network also.  I was able to copy the logs from my Deco W2400 system.

The main issue was it killed my network, second issue is I could not  access the Deco via the APP, but could via local web page ( which is useless ).  Rebooting my router and disconnecting the deco got my network back up.

Complaints with the system are:

1)  No way to configure locally without the damn App.  Screwed if you don't have internet access.

2)  The local web interface should be able to atleast configure the damn things.

3)  Whose idea was it to put a 10/100 only ethernet on it?  Capable of more throughput than 100 Mb.

Too bad I can not return them and get something else.  I was a fan of TPLink until this.

Kevin_Z, seems like you fell off the face of the net.  You running the Deco also?

How about some support?

For as long as this has been an issue, it should have been fixed by now.  When I worled for Westel years ago, we NEVER took this long to fix a problem.

Options
2020-08-14 08:28:57

@GPGeek We'll you're definitely not alone.  I've dealt with a lot of Deco's, but at one particular house where I've got an M5 network in AP mode and a Virgin Media Hub in Router mode, I have this exact issue (rogue IP addresses being assigned by the Deco's whenever there is a blip on the VM end).  Static IP's have been my only viable workaround up to now, but today I'm just going to have to flip the equation so that the Deco's are in Router mode and the VM Router is in Modem mode.  
I think that this "Smart DHCP" think might be well intentioned, but it is dysfunctional in its current form.

Options