Modem to router connection difficulty

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-25 07:56:02

Hi,

I have an old TD-W8968 ADSL2+ modem router that creates a reliable ADSL connection with good speed. The downside to that device is it is only 2.4G wireless.

I also have an AC1750 (Archer D7) modem router that for my phone line is useless. The ADSL connection it makes is slower, unstable and unreliable. However it's wireless credentials are (I think) good.

What I am trying to do is use the good (old) modem and bridge/connect it to the D7 via its WAN connection, using the D7 for its much better WiFi.

Information on how to achieve this is rather thin on the ground. I have managed to connect the two to where the D7 shows internet connection. Unfortunately connected devices do not see the internet connection.

On the modem I have disabled WiFi and its DHCP server. The D7 is in wireless router mode (no modem).

What configuration specifics am I likely to have overlooked for this scenario?

Thanks.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Modem to router connection difficulty
2019-02-26 08:26:57

Hi,

Set up the D7 as a access point will be more suitable in your case. Then you can use the wifi from the TD-W8968 and Archer D7. Change the D7's LAN IP address to the same subnet with the 8968, turn off DHCP server, then connect D7's LAN port to the 8968's LAN port.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-417.html

Options