Router is unable to filter MAC address of router(to be bridged) in Range Extender mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router is unable to filter MAC address of router(to be bridged) in Range Extender mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-04 07:22:34 - last edited 2019-03-04 07:24:30
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V14
Firmware Version: 0.9.14.16 v0001.0 Build 180319 Rel.57291n

Router Operating Mode - Range Extender

I have 3 routers in my house:
A. Main router (Isp)
B. WR841N (Range Extender Mode connected to the Main router)
C. WR740N (Access Point connected via wire to WR841N for further network expansion)

Note:
1. Wireless broadcast is enabled for all them.
2. All have same SSID and password.

Network Figure:
A (ISP Router) -------------> (wireless bridge) B ------------> (wired Access Point) C

Detail explanation of problem :
In an active network where all routers are working properly, if the router A is switched off (or reboot) then the router B connects to router C. After this, again if router A is switched ON then the router B does not establishes connection with router A and in turn network fails.

In settings of router B i.e WR-841N, the MAC address of the router A is clearly mentioned but it fails to recognize the routers by mac address.

The router WR-841N only recognizes the router/access point (to be bridged) by SSID only and not by MAC address which creates this problem of connecting to different access point with same SSID & password but different mac address in absence of the main router.

For now I using 2 different SSID for the network to distinguish between the main wireless broadcast and access point broadcast.

How can I make this network successful without creating 2 different SSID in the house?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Router is unable to filter MAC address of router(to be bridged) in Range Extender mode
2019-03-06 07:47:55

Hi, to build up the network connection easily, the device, in repeater mode, won't bind itself to the front-end device based on its MAC address, in this way, the device can connect to other front-end devices automatically which share the same SSID/PW  with one of them crashed down. It is so-called roaming. 

So generally speaking, it is suggested to use different SSIDs for the client devices so that it is easy to distinguish them and guarantee that the network will work normally.

Back to your case, considering the actual network request, we can offer a special firmware, while it will take few days. So please wait a while, any updates, we will reply to you immediately. 

Have a good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1101

Replies: 1

Related Articles