TL-WR841N slow upload slow download

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-05 03:13:20 - last edited 2019-03-05 03:15:25
Model: TL-WR841N_EU  
Hardware Version: V14
Firmware Version: V14

Hi, I am new here. I need help or advice please. I bought this router but I have so small speeds a I do not know why. My internet is officialy 10mb/s and router is connected by wire to NAS Synology. When I do a backup of my photos from the NAS to Synology cloud I have upload speed just 1,4 mb/s. When I download some movie from internet site with a premium account with unlimited speed my download speed is 2.6 mb/s. Do I have some Bad configuration or this is normal? Thanks for help guys and sorry for my spelling... I am from Czechia. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-WR841N slow upload slow download
2019-03-05 07:04:22

Hello, with your computer connectd to the modem directly, what is the speed you can get? Meanwhile, what about the speed with your computer connected to the 841N directly? It is worth to do a comparison analysis. You can go to speedtest.net to run the test. 

Meanwhile, you can check the wired/wireless link speed which will affect the actual speed a lot. instruction as below: https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-2265.html

Besides, you can refer to the below instruction to narrow down the issue.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-2170.html

Options
Re:Re:TL-WR841N slow upload slow download
2019-03-05 15:33:01

Yes, my CP is connected directly. In Windows screen about internet connection I see 100mb/s. But my internet test result is this. http://rychlost.cz/vysledek/2019098667-10da/ 

You think this is OK?

Options
Re:TL-WR841N slow upload slow download
2019-05-12 17:08:45

Hi, Heres a solution that worked for me in a similar situation.

I had faced a similar problem with my new router 940N (450Mbps N-Router) when using with my BSNL-FTTH 50Mbps Fiber connection.

From the LAN on the router i could get >50Mbps but over Wi-Fi it was simply limited to a slower speed of 20Mbps for some reason.

I tried with multiple devices and they all showed the same slow speed of 20~25Mbps downloads/uploads.

I had contacted the TPLink Tech-support but could not get this solved over remote/Tele-call.

The next day after a few trials of my own I finally found the root-cause and solved it and its been working great since then.

The Solution that worked for me:

Since this is an N-Router, at the Wireless security settings, TP-Link Setup wizard itself recommends not to set TKIP Encryption but my BSNL technician did set TKIP wrongly during installation.

On finding this info from the Wireless Security settings page itself, I tried changing it back to the alternate option of AES. 

Now here is the strange and funny part.

For some reason the Router though it showed the settings saved as AES, it seems it never was actually applied it. The speed was still slow at <20Mbps.

Now even after a hard-reset and fresh re-configuration of the Router with AES encryption settings, it did not work.

Then I tried disabling the "Security" itself first, on which I got >55Mbps speed and then next I set it to AES.

This time it seemed to have applied the settings correctly and the high speed was retained and i have never had the slow-speed  issue again.

To confirm this fix i reproduced the steps of going with TKIP and Hard Reset etc and finally back to AES and it has proved to be correct.

Not sure if its a bug in the Router.

Anyway, for anybody facing this issue, please do try these steps. I was almost on the verge of returning my router via Amazon but managed to avoid doing it.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Options
Re:Re:TL-WR841N slow upload slow download
2019-05-13 02:24:25

Hi Thomas, 

Thanks for your valued reply; Glad to hear that it was resolved finally.

Hope it will help more customers. 

And do not hesitate to contact if need more help. 

Have a nice day. 

Thomas-ZION wrote

Hi, Heres a solution that worked for me in a similar situation.

I had faced a similar problem with my new router 940N (450Mbps N-Router) when using with my BSNL-FTTH 50Mbps Fiber connection.

From the LAN on the router i could get >50Mbps but over Wi-Fi it was simply limited to a slower speed of 20Mbps for some reason.

I tried with multiple devices and they all showed the same slow speed of 20~25Mbps downloads/uploads.

I had contacted the TPLink Tech-support but could not get this solved over remote/Tele-call.

The next day after a few trials of my own I finally found the root-cause and solved it and its been working great since then.

The Solution that worked for me:

Since this is an N-Router, at the Wireless security settings, TP-Link Setup wizard itself recommends not to set TKIP Encryption but my BSNL technician did set TKIP wrongly during installation.

On finding this info from the Wireless Security settings page itself, I tried changing it back to the alternate option of AES. 

Now here is the strange and funny part.

For some reason the Router though it showed the settings saved as AES, it seems it never was actually applied it. The speed was still slow at <20Mbps.

Now even after a hard-reset and fresh re-configuration of the Router with AES encryption settings, it did not work.

Then I tried disabling the "Security" itself first, on which I got >55Mbps speed and then next I set it to AES.

This time it seemed to have applied the settings correctly and the high speed was retained and i have never had the slow-speed  issue again.

To confirm this fix i reproduced the steps of going with TKIP and Hard Reset etc and finally back to AES and it has proved to be correct.

Not sure if its a bug in the Router.

Anyway, for anybody facing this issue, please do try these steps. I was almost on the verge of returning my router via Amazon but managed to avoid doing it.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1587

Replies: 4

Related Articles