TD- W 8980 connecting to Sky broadband

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-06-12 21:05:48
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8980

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Sky Broadband

I have recently purchased the TD-W 8980 /N 600 to replace my Sky broadband Sagem router.
Unfortunately though I can get the PC and other wireless products to 'see'the new router I cannot connect to the internet,either by wireless or by ethernet cable.
I believe this is Sky policy to prevent using third party routers.
At the very least I would like to use the W-8980 to extend the existing Sky router's range,though ideally I would like to use just the new router.
Has anyone any easily followed step by step advice?
Options
6 Reply
Re:TD- W 8980 connecting to Sky broadband
2013-06-13 15:35:39
Yep, Sky does not allow their customers to use other brands routers.
To install the new modem, you need to talk with Sky and see if they can provide information for you, such as username, password, VPI, VCI and connection type.
If you can get these information, you can login the web page of the modem to set up the Internet connection.
Options
2013-06-13 23:50:01
Thanks for the reply,reading postings elsewhere on the web,I think phoning SKY is a non starter.
Looks as if I bought a white elephant!
Options
2013-08-27 07:12:58

Lampman wrote

Thanks for the reply,reading postings elsewhere on the web,I think phoning SKY is a non starter.
Looks as if I bought a white elephant!

Go to skyuser forum for the details and how to get your login details from your sky router
Options
Re connecting own router to Sky
2014-04-03 17:19:00
Hi Lampman, I am a new member & registered after seeing your post.

I have the same TP-LINK modem router as you & my isp is Sky.

I had the same problem as you but it is possible to connect your device.

Type 192.168.1.1 in your browser to open the modem UI

Click setup: Enter VPI as 0 then VCI as 38

Next select PPPOA as connection type.

Under your sky router you will find your wireless network & password codes. On the next page of UI you will see your routers SSID change this over to the one on your Sky router, Then enter your password, Do this for both the 2.40 & 5.0 wireless SSID`s, (Those must be in upper case), Continue with setup & click finish.

After a few minutes your modem routers internet light should blink (Hopefully) & you will be online with the TP-Link

Hope that helps

Catt :)
Options
2017-01-25 14:04:18
Sky has the strict policy for not using other brand routers. For installing the new modem, you have to talk with Sky customer care and they will connect your call to the dealing authorities and they can provide you with relevant information as username, password etc. After getting this information, you can log in the web page of the modem to set up the internet connection. Source:
Options
2017-01-25 17:16:35

illena wrote

Sky has the strict policy for not using other brand routers. For installing the new modem, you have to talk with Sky customer care and they will connect your call to the dealing authorities and they can provide you with relevant information as username, password etc. After getting this information, you can log in the web page of the modem to set up the internet connection. Source: qwikfix.co.uk/sky-customer-services

You are replying to a very old thread. Since the Sky takeover of O2 broadband in 2013 all this has changed as they allowed O2 customers to continue to use their Thomson routers. The terms and conditions on ADSL services no longer prohibit the use of third party routers (although they do for their VDSL fibre service). All ADSL customers can now connect using:

Encapsulation: PPPoA
Username: [EMAIL="install@o2broadband.co.uk"]install@o2broadband.co.uk[/EMAIL]
Password: install
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Multiplexing: VC-BASED
MTU: 1500

I have been using this on a TD-W8968 and it certainly works, except that the current firmware is not compatible with Sky IPv6, another issue...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1269

Replies: 6