Part 3 of my IP range changed. Did the DECO system cause this?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-16 01:44:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.5

I recently updated a PC I use as a media server and then discovered it was no longer available via folder shares or remote desktop. The last digits were the same, so I didn't notice right away the third part had changed from 0 to 68. All of my other devices changed as well, which is very odd. I recall updating my Decos and having some problems until all of my network had been rebooted. Is it possible the Deco software changed the IP range? Trying to understand why this happened.

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Part 3 of my IP range changed. Did the DECO system cause this?
2019-03-17 09:04:37

This is a known minor annoyance with the Deco system.  It’s supposed to avoid conflict with other devices by picking an unused address range when you install it, using 192.168.0.x as it’s first choice.  However it sometimes gets confused after a restart or update and thinks there’s a conflict when there isn’t.  In my opinion, once I’ve got a router set up the last thing I want changing is it’s address - everything else should keep out of it’s way.  It’s also a nuisance for statically configured devices as they can’t follow the change and l lose network connection.   See this thread for an example: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/156593

You can change it back in the “LAN IP” section of advanced settings.  Check that the addresses in DCHCP server have changed back too.

Options
Re:Part 3 of my IP range changed. Did the DECO system cause this?
2019-03-18 11:39:13

Hello,

Generally speaking, firmware upgrading won't affect the performance of the router, and won't change the LAN IP address of itself. 

While you can change the IP back to the original one. Once open Deco app, go to more-advanced-LAN IP to change it to 192.168.0.1.

Note: Please ensure that there is no IP confict.

And then the devices in the same network can access each other.

May it help.

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:Part 3 of my IP range changed. Did the DECO system cause this?
2019-03-21 13:54:15

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected, but it's good to know the cause. It's not much of an issue now that I know, but will have to remember if it happens again next year. I'm going to look into alternative options for shares so the server can broadcast. I don't know if that is possible, but my Plex server continued working and a friend who is a network expert explained this is due to how that application broadcasts rather than shares passively.

Take care

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 641

Replies: 3

Related Articles